Learn to play guitar with Mac or iPad?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Ursadorable, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Ursadorable macrumors 6502

Ursadorable

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with learning to play a guitar with applications on either the Mac or an iPad. I've seen some online courses, but I would prefer if possible something that I could connect my guitar to the Mac, or using somethink like iRig with an iPad.

2. davidphantomatic macrumors newbie

davidphantomatic

I know GarageBand has some guitar tutorial functionality built in.
    I've never gone through it, so I can't speak to the quality, by I'd say try it on either your Mac or your iPad.

You can also use the iRig and iRig HD with either device.

3. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

There's definitely two schools of thought on this program, but I have been using Rocksmith 2014. If you buy the "box" version, it comes with a USB-to-1/4 cable that you can plug into your mac or pc and the guitar.

While it doesn't teach you the 'theory' of music, it'll show you the basics (video tutorials before the actual playing lesson) and covers lead guitar, rhythm guitar, and bass. The software is "adaptive", so if you are having trouble with something, it will slow it down and repeat until you get it.

It also has a "session mode" which you can choose keyboards, other guitars/bass, percussion and drums that will automatically play with you. There's also a few little 'mini-games' that you can play as well.

Take a peak on YouTube for Rocksmith 2014 and also the CDLC (custom DLC). There's a great community out there at CustomsForge that has a HUGE library of songs to add to your collection!

--rob