Learn to Play Piano From Garage Band?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fazzl, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

So I got garageband '11 and saw your learning shows (piano) and was thinking of picking up a USB piano from the apple store. Do you think I could potentially follow the lessons and teach myself the basics? Are USB keyboards the same as real pianos in terms of playing, etc?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not really. All the keys are obviously the same, but the actions are totally different. Real keyboards feel...real.

3. UpDownAeroplane macrumors member

the last place you want to pick up a MIDI keyboard from is the apple store. go to a real music store.

4. Playgear macrumors regular

I've been playing piano professionally for the last 10 years and teaching professionally for the last 5. Whilst the methods used in Garageband are not what I would use for a beginner myself, they would be suitable for someone who just wants to learn the basics casually/leisurely at their own pace (like it advertises).

Agreed.

And as miles01110 said, they don't feel the same as a real piano. Try and find one that has weighted keys. If you can afford it, look for a full size digital piano that has MIDI capabilities. But that's not necessary, a small keyboard would suffice for the basic lessons, but really try and look for weighted keys. Unweighted keys are not good for your fingers.