Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChocolateApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
New York
And stop asking me for directions!

A guest asked me how to get somewhere. I referred to my iPhone's Google maps. Then I remembered, that SHE has the same phone.
After looking up one place, she wanted me to search a bunch of additional tourist spots and give her directions from one place to another. Why?

She doesn't know how to use her iPhone. It was a gift. This is what happens when you get it free sometimes. When you spend your hard earned cash to get it, you learn about it. So I ended up printing a map for her. An iPhone user with a printed map. Wow.

Alphaspida

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
I wouldn't stress about it. Sometimes there are people in this world who just can't comprehend things.

Those are the people you leave alone.

ChocolateApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
New York
I don't think the OP wants to go on a date with grandma.

She's actually relatively young. I just get frustrated with iPhone owners who literally bug others for directions when Google maps is the easiest app to use.

One co-worker always asked stupid questions, "Where is Radio Shack?" This guy was in his early 20s, and a native of the city! I don't mind helping a little, but in both cases, my help became a crutch. They were like cats coming back.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
I showed her, but she insisted on a printed map. She's a relative, and I'm a (str8) female. :)

Well, in that case, how about I show you how to look up my address in Google maps and then ask you for your phone number. :D

I kid!

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
The native maps app is one of my most-used apps on my phone. I'm surprised more people aren't dependent on it. Maybe it's just us big-city people who rely on it more often. I can't imagine where I'd be without it, it's actually kind of frightening.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
One co-worker always asked stupid questions, "Where is Radio Shack?" This guy was in his early 20s, and a native of the city! I don't mind helping a little, but in both cases, my help became a crutch. They were like cats coming back.

That one's easy. Give him directions that are wrong, like way off target. He either (a) won't find his way back, or (b) won't ask you for directions again! :)

Seriously, you have to manage people's expectations. If they start abusing your willingness to be nice, you have to put your foot down and draw the line. "I'm sorry, I don't have time to help with that today" and if they don't take the hint, you send them to the wrong side of town.

ChocolateApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
New York
That one's easy. Give him directions that are wrong, like way off target. He either (a) won't find his way back, or (b) won't ask you for directions again! :)

Seriously, you have to manage people's expectations. If they start abusing your willingness to be nice, you have to put your foot down and draw the line. "I'm sorry, I don't have time to help with that today" and if they don't take the hint, you send them to the wrong side of town.

Haha! Good advice :D

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
She's actually relatively young. I just get frustrated with iPhone owners who literally bug others for directions when Google maps is the easiest app to use.

If that co-worker is a guy, maybe he likes you? :p

extrachrispy

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Sacramento Mountains, New Mexico

Start sending them links from letmegooglethatforyou.com and see if they take the hint?

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Unfortunately not all smartphone users are very smart. Just like the extend of some peoples' computer knowledge is Google and MS Word, the extent of some peoples' iPhone knowledge is phone calls and the iPod app.

Guess it's just the downside of owning a phone that happens to be a status symbol.

alfonsom05

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
And stop asking me for directions!

A guest asked me how to get somewhere. I referred to my iPhone's Google maps. Then I remembered, that SHE has the same phone.
After looking up one place, she wanted me to search a bunch of additional tourist spots and give her directions from one place to another. Why?

She doesn't know how to use her iPhone. It was a gift. This is what happens when you get it free sometimes. When you spend your hard earned cash to get it, you learn about it. So I ended up printing a map for her. An iPhone user with a printed map. Wow.

off topic...While at wal-mart

Lady 1: OOOOH Get this one its a rollback.(wal-marts Rollback prices)
Lady 2: What is that, do I need a card?

Its Wal-Mart, who doesn't know what it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.