Learn to Use Your iPhone's Google Maps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChocolateApple, Jul 16, 2010.

1. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

And stop asking me for directions!

A guest asked me how to get somewhere. I referred to my iPhone's Google maps. Then I remembered, that SHE has the same phone.
    After looking up one place, she wanted me to search a bunch of additional tourist spots and give her directions from one place to another. Why?

She doesn't know how to use her iPhone. It was a gift. This is what happens when you get it free sometimes. When you spend your hard earned cash to get it, you learn about it. So I ended up printing a map for her. An iPhone user with a printed map. Wow.

2. Alphaspida macrumors member

I wouldn't stress about it. Sometimes there are people in this world who just can't comprehend things.

Those are the people you leave alone.

3. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Why didn't you just show her how to use Google maps on the iPhone and then get her phone number?

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't think the OP wants to go on a date with grandma.

5. ChocolateApple thread starter macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

I showed her, but she insisted on a printed map. She's a relative, and I'm a (str8) female. :)

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

the problem is when they don't leave YOU alone.

7. ChocolateApple thread starter macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

She's actually relatively young. I just get frustrated with iPhone owners who literally bug others for directions when Google maps is the easiest app to use.

One co-worker always asked stupid questions, "Where is Radio Shack?" This guy was in his early 20s, and a native of the city! I don't mind helping a little, but in both cases, my help became a crutch. They were like cats coming back.

8. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Well, in that case, how about I show you how to look up my address in Google maps and then ask you for your phone number. :D

I kid!

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The native maps app is one of my most-used apps on my phone. I'm surprised more people aren't dependent on it. Maybe it's just us big-city people who rely on it more often. I can't imagine where I'd be without it, it's actually kind of frightening.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I see. She's a victim of the weak woman syndrome and yes, they're annoying.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

That one's easy. Give him directions that are wrong, like way off target. He either (a) won't find his way back, or (b) won't ask you for directions again! :)

Seriously, you have to manage people's expectations. If they start abusing your willingness to be nice, you have to put your foot down and draw the line. "I'm sorry, I don't have time to help with that today" and if they don't take the hint, you send them to the wrong side of town.

12. ChocolateApple thread starter macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

Haha! Good advice :D

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If that co-worker is a guy, maybe he likes you? :p

14. extrachrispy macrumors regular

extrachrispy

Start sending them links from letmegooglethatforyou.com and see if they take the hint?

15. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Unfortunately not all smartphone users are very smart. Just like the extend of some peoples' computer knowledge is Google and MS Word, the extent of some peoples' iPhone knowledge is phone calls and the iPod app.

Guess it's just the downside of owning a phone that happens to be a status symbol.

16. alfonsom05 macrumors newbie

off topic...While at wal-mart

Lady 1: OOOOH Get this one its a rollback.(wal-marts Rollback prices)
    Lady 2: What is that, do I need a card?

Its Wal-Mart, who doesn't know what it is.