Learning a new language with rosetta stone

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cool11, Feb 28, 2010.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I read a lot about this application.
    And I am wondering? Does anyone really learned a new language using such software?
    Is it worth to try it or better go to more traditional practices (realtime classes etc)?
    It would be nice to learn a new language with your own pace and at your own time but will it work at last?
    Is it worth to spend money and time using this application or it is difficult to learn a new language depending only on this as a basic tutor?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It depends solely on your learning style. I know people who loved Rosetta Stone and I know others who hated it.

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I had the chance to do the Rosetta Stone some years ago before I did real language classes. While it was really nice to have a slow start into it that you could do at your own pace, you can't really compare the two. The substance you can get out of a good class is really miles (or kilometers) ahead of what you get out of Rosetta.

If you can choose only one, take the classes. If you can use the Rosetta stone through your school or library then you can try it out, but for the price I'd take a good text/grammar-book any day.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Some people are good at picking up a new language, other people will struggle forever. Rosetta is good, I know a number of military people who have used it for work. It's too pricey for me personally. Classes are nice because they force you to do the work, but can add up to become more expensive than the Rosetta material. It will partly depend on how well you can motivate yourself. My language learning has been at a very slow pace, but it's just for my own sake, rather than for a job, so my motivation to keep at it is lacking.

5. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

I'm learning German with Rosetta Stone right now. It's working wonders. Better than the classroom enviorment I've had before. I just can't learn a language when they teach you the English right behind it. Rosetta Stone rules.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Keep in mind that while a class is certainly good, it's a limited time frame. I'd still agree with you, but for someone who's going to learn it slowly, Rosetta Stone or something similar might be better. In addition, a text book on it's own (referring to your last sentence here) won't teach you how to pronounce words, which is critical. I'm learning Japanese, and I wouldn't touch a textbook unless I'd already been taught how to pronounce the syllables, and many languages are tougher to learn in that aspect.

jW

7. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I used it to brush up on my Spanish, and it really worked well when it came to understanding the language. When it came to communicating in Spanish though, that was a different story. I'd say an actual class is much better for that.

I'd say the best way to become fluent in speech/writen form of another language (once you have a decent understanding of it, after something like a class or Rosetta Stone) is still to spend a period of time in a place where everyone speaks the language and read books written in the language.