Learning Adobe Flash?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Nsutton, May 2, 2010.

1. Nsutton macrumors member

Nsutton

I just got Adobe Flash CS4 (30 day trial can't afford $700 for it..) and I want to make some cool flash game likes the ones on addicting games and so on.

Can anyone recommend any online tutorials for game development with flash?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're going to get flamed for daring to use Flash, just a warning.

Honestly I wouldn't bother learning Flash at this point. Learn a more useful language as you seem to have started to do in your numerous other posts.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Is this software also what you use to make 2d animations? Don't want to make a new thread for this.

4. Nsutton thread starter macrumors member

Nsutton

Lol, Why so many flash haters? Anyway I'm learning python and i'm sure its better than action script but i just wanna try it..

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Stick with Python and augment it with XHTML, CSS and Javascript and you'll have enough knowledge to knock up some pretty cool stuff.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

No, people will just gently sway the OP to learn something different.

OP: Best advice is to go to a Barnes and Noble or other place, and find a small book. I have one "Flash CS3 Website in an Hour" that worked pretty well for teaching me how to use flash to make a website.

7. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

This is good advice. I was heavily into Flash a few years back and the book that really took me to the next level was Foundation Actionscript by Sham Bhangal. Easy to read, understand, great projects, and the book was mostly code based while also touching lightly on the basics, project management, and best practices.

Flash is really fun to use; orchestrating the timelines, movieclips, artwork, and action script always really appealed to me, although I can see the negative aspects of flash and the web as well.

8. flyingturtle macrumors regular

Python rocks. I love the language, but unfortunately I can't use it as often as I'd like for work reasons as I do C#/ASP.NET and PHP (pick your framework) most often.

You can program games in Python with Renpy and Pygame

However, it's probably easier to use Flash and learn ActionScript. I've done a lot of lot of ActionScript work and for creating 2d animations and games it's very convenient, so I say go for it. Lots of books out there for creating games in Flash. it'll help you, conceptually when you do games in other languages.

As far as online guides, you can read and post on the game forum on Flashkit.
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=5

The sticky in that forum should have links to other Flash and game development resources so be sure to read this:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=518121

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because his Steviness hates it.

10. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

There is nothing wrong with flash, but I would be hesitant to learn it unless I had to. I just think there are better uses of your time. I know you've been looking at games, but if you go beyond games and into productivity applications, I'm starting to see large enterprises ban flash as a way to lessen their vulnerability surface area when it comes to security and get rid of a productivity killer. Just something to think about.

11. AlmostThere macrumors 6502a

You have a 30 day trial, i.e. 1 month, to learn a bit of Flash. Ignore the politics and focus on putting together a few animations or such like.

It will give you a some experience with animation and a benchmark by which the productivity of other languages can be judged.

12. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

People have hated Flash for far longer than the current skirmish between Apple and Adobe.