Learning Automator

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Tech198, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Thinking of brushing up on my skills of best ways to learn automator... That way i won't have to steal snippets of code from u guys or various websites :D *j/k*

I thought initially of going through the defaults already and see what i have to work with, then maybe mix & match, then go from there.

However, my knowledge of wanting to use automator overwhelms my skills to learn quickly.

I have heaps of correctly file names of aac files, i wonder weather automator or scripting could achieve the following.

Ideally, what i'm after is the file names themselves are all correct, just meta-data of some fields not...

I would want to have automator look at the file names, know how many tracks there are (because each file belongs to an album and thus has x number of tracks, automator would read this info, open the file, adjust the meta-tag start and ending i.e track 1 of 20 would be in meta tags if file name is 01, and the folder only contains two files associated with the singe/album), then move onto the next file until complete...

Would this sort of thing be possible in script ? or would the actual file name need to have both 01-20, 02-20 etc?

I can tag manually manually, but just would take a long time that's all.... so i thought scripting would help out here if its possible.

In addition, if this would help me learn, them i'm already on my way.