Learning backend development for iOS apps

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by MacMan988, Jun 9, 2013.

1. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

Hi, I have been developing iOS apps for some time and now I want to learn to develop backends for the apps I create. Previously, I have been provided with backends configured and they were mostly done using Java.

I have a very little knowledge in PHP and running a local server. I wish to start learning backend development from the scratch. Some of my friends suggest me to learn Java for backend. But I read some articles on the internet saying that either Python or Ruby will be better for this purpose. Any tips, suggestions or help on where to begin would be much appreciated.

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Learn Python the Hard Way? (Google it, it's a free ebook. I've heard good things about it and I'm a big fan of another book in the series, Learn C the Hard Way.)

3. giobox macrumors newbie

For most app back ends you're probably going to want some kind of REST API implemented to send data back and forth from your application. In my experience Ruby on Rails is a great framework to build these things on, as if you follow the standard Rails conventions you end up building everything in a RESTful way anyway.

It really depends on your application's requirements, but Rails will deal with most. I would strongly recommend Michael Hartl's book as a starting point, its freely avaliable on his site: http://ruby.railstutorial.org/

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

That looks helpful... I think I'll do some of those free exercises! Thanks!

5. MacMan988 thread starter macrumors 6502a