Learning by repairing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by torch0395, Dec 29, 2016.

1. torch0395 macrumors newbie

First post for me.
    I am more into software than hardware for computers. I have spent a year repairing iPhones (for leisure) and now I want to get into repairing computers. I think it is a great learning experience.

Do you guys recommend buying broken macs on eBay and just learning how to troubleshoot and learn the repairs as they come along? I do not care much for how much money I would spend I just want to learn.

2. kschendel macrumors 6502a

Recommend, as opposed to what?

Just buying dead Macs may or may not get you a good cross-section of failures. Ideally you would follow a more focused approach that combines "here is what went wrong" with "here is how it's supposed to work." If you can't find such a thing, I suppose that trying your hand with a variety of random dead Macs would be better than nothing. My gut reaction though is that the random dead Mac approach would do better as enrichment than as the primary course.

I must however admit that I am not a Mac repair person, I don't know how one officially becomes such a thing, and it's possible that I'm talking out of my nether regions...