Learning Cocoa with Objective-C 2nd Edition

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by grimreaper1377, Jul 23, 2008.

1. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

Hi,

I just got this book, and I was wondering that even though its for 10.2, and I'm on 10.5, should I still read it? Are there any differences from that to now? (conceptual wise, disregarding objc)

Thanks

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

NO, their have been so many changes you should get the most updated version

3. grimreaper1377 thread starter macrumors regular

It is the latest version. The only book (so far) that I know of that is for 10.5 is "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X 3rd Edition"

4. grimreaper1377 thread starter macrumors regular

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Objective-C is pretty much the same except for the few changes they made with Objective-C 2 but if you want to target the iPhone or 10.4 you can't use them anyway. The main difference is in Xcode and Interface Builder, everything else is pretty much the same. Just make sure you are not using deprecated functions and you will be fine.

6. product RED macrumors newbie

So you're sure that this will work for 10.5? Just for learning the overall jist of objc and cocoa?

Thanks

7. JVene macrumors newbie

You could also load XCode 2.5 into Leopard and work from there. It runs aside 3.0, and for a start, that's not too bad.

When you're finished and have a handle on what that book offered, you can consider moving forward into XCode 3.1.