Learning FCP from scratch

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by supercooled, Dec 5, 2010.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Guys, I'm interested in learning FCP but would like to get an honest opinion on where to start. I've seen online courses like Lynda Learning videos which I've used before for Photoshop so I'm familiar with the layout but I wanted to ask the community on which approach they prefer and took that worked or didn't work for them as to avoid the pitfalls.

Is there a recommended "bible" for a FCP student? I'm going to look at the Lynda series again but like I said, I just wanted to get a primer from the good folks of MR first.

Thanks

2. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Lynda is good as would be the Apple Pro Training series book. It's really just a matter of preference of whether you prefer video learning or book learning.

Overall though, Final Cut is a pretty easy program to learn. Learning the art of editing, however, is a different story.

3. filmweaver macrumors regular

Ditto on Apple Pro Training Series.
    FCP is something you grow into and not out of.
    I am also self trained, never looked back.

4. smokescreen76 macrumors member

The way I learnt FCP is by using it. Offer your services to everyone and anyone. Explain that you're only starting out and let them decide if they want to work with you.

You will make mistakes, it will take time... but you will learn.

5. boch82 macrumors 6502

I have been an Avid editor for over 10 years and finally decided i should learn FCP. I used the Focal Press book as a reference when there is something I couldnt figure out. It was a great reference and went all the way from the basics to the more advanced stuff I was trying to figure out.

http://www.amazon.com/Focal-Easy-Gu...1811/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1291644429&sr=8-5

As other people already said, the best way to learn it is to use it. A book or tutorial may tell you one way to do something, but there could be 5 other ways to do it. One of the other ways might be better for you and your style.