Learning french

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SilvorX, Sep 25, 2008.

1. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

How many of you are either learning french or parler français?

I've been learning French for about 16 years now, and I still don't feel fluent, how did you get a grasp on the language?

For me, it's best to be surrounded by people who speak french, that way you can immerse yourself in the language.

For me, I've lived in Quebec on and off for about 4-5 months in the last few years, it's a great experience, surrounded by la belle langue, amazing beer, and hot quebecoise girls! Oh and not to forget la poutine!

What's your experience with that ou est-ce que tu es un francophone?

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sorry, but going to Quebec to learn French is like going to Brooklyn to learn English.

Go to France, if you can, for a few months.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

+1

Definitely head overseas to France. Switzerland or Belgium may help, but you'll find out that their French is different from France's, just as the Queen's English is different from American and Australian.

Personally, I was better writing it than speaking it, but I still have the bulk of it down, and once you learn it, it's very hard to forget it. The key is keeping yourself near/around it, otherwise you start to forget it from lack of use. Prime example: Try finding someone to speak French with, after moving from somewhere like New Orleans, or even Montreal, to Las Vegas.

See what I mean?

BL.

4. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

While Quebec is full of slang, it definitely is a great place to learn french, however towns like Montréal and Quebec City aren't the best places to go, you have to go to a small arse farming/fishing town in order to really immerse yourself.

I worked in Quebec City for just over 3 months and it was a pain going to stores or restaurants because everyone thought I was a tourist, but my whole workplace, a place of 3000 people or so, all were more than willing to communicate with me exclusively in French.

The Quebecois accent is difficult compared to Belgian/French French for me.. I'm too familiar with that combo of accents..