Learning from - or repeating - my mistakes?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by profmatt, May 23, 2015.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I was one of those people who was wildly excited about the Apple Watch. My confirmation e-mail was timed within the first minute and I got delivery on the 24th.

A week later I sent it back.

This morning I've ordered another.

I think I made two mistakes.

First, I didn't find a way of using the watch that worked for me. I fell into the trap of thinking "because the watch has X function, I must use that function".

So I made the watch face incredibly busy and complicated. This made it difficult to read, especially under the pressure of knowing that in a few seconds it's going to go blank.

I also filled the glances with apps that I thought I might - or should - use. I was endlessly - and pointlessly - checking things.

The notifications became a burden. My iPhone would make noises, my watch would make noises and vibrate: it was like being endlessly pestered by an irritating child.

Second, I bought the wrong one. I bought the 42mm SS WSB. I thought the black/white combo would look striking. But it never really worked for me. The sports band felt great to the touch, but ended up looking cheap. I did think about getting another band but the delivery dates put me off.

Last night I browsed the "show off your watch" thread. Some of them were really striking. The one that got me the most was the 42mm SS BSB. It looked really classy, in a way that white just doesn't.

And on Apple's own website, they've chosen a very simple - and elegant - watchface. Instantly readable and no complications.

So I've ordered one. Delivery estimate: end of June, beginning of July.

[​IMG]

2. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

Wow. That stinks, and it's great all at the same time! :)

I hope you enjoy it more the 2nd time around than you did the 1st time.

When I first got my watch, I turned off all the complications and made my face of the day as simple and uncluttered as possible. Then I started thinking about some of the features I was missing out on that I could actually use, so I slowly started adding complications back until I got to the point where when I'm at work I usually use the modular face with every complication filled, and at night I use the utility face with as little on it as possible. Just the watch hands and the second hand. I don't even like to clutter it up with the hour and minute marks.

BTW, I got the SS with the WSB and I think it looks fantastic. I also have the green and pink sport bands and next week my link arrives. The only two sport band colors I don't like, and think make the watch look cheap, are the blue and black. *shrug* To each their own, I guess. Yay for choices. :)