Learning Guitar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xXriderXx7, Dec 22, 2008.

1. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Hi,

My dad has told me he is going to pick up a very nice Ibanez acoustic/electric guitar for me for Christmas, and seeing as I do not know how to play guitar, he suggested I look for a good Mac app to assist me in my efforts to learn guitar. Im going to up a USB connector tomorrow, and Im wondering if any of my fellow MacRumors members have any suggestions as to the best app to assist me in learning from scratch?

2. pepsipopup macrumors newbie

lessons

i never heard about an app that does this but i recommend lessons.
    i am 11 years old an a kid my age is learning how to play some songs without a teacher!
    but i don't see why you wouln't just take lessons like all the good guys and gals. ;)

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

wise 11 year old! i have a guitar and its so hard/frustrating to learn on my own

i need lessons

4. xXriderXx7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Ive thought about it, but there is really no way I can pay for continuous lessons. Im going to be drained after Christmas, and with all the college fees I really dont have enough money to spare. Thats why I was thinking about just purchasing software once, then using it as I please.

SO, any one else have any recommendations?

5. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

6. xXriderXx7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

No help? Can no one recommend me a viable app to learn with?

7. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

8. xXriderXx7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

9. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

Congrats on starting guitar. I've played for 7 years and it's a wonderful instrument.

Waiting on my recording interface though, hopefully it works well with OS X :D

10. james-thescalie macrumors member

www.ultimate-guitar.com thats what i use, any chords you dont know how to play just hover over them and it gives you a diagram. these diagrams are drawn as if you are looking down on the fret board. (low)-EADGBE-(high)

11. mongrol macrumors regular

Agreed. I've played guitar for over 20 years and never found a program thats any good at teaching. Get out your favourite albums, go to the above site and get stuck in. Also good is a copy of "The Guitar Handbook". A seriously great book that teaches theory, history of guitar, different styles and more importantly, how to look after the thing so it doesn't end up all bent out of shape and lying in the corner.

12. grinning walrus macrumors newbie

They also have lessons at that site. Some of them are better than others. Check out the ones with the highest user ratings. Cyberfret is also good. Here's the link for their beginner lessons. http://www.cyberfret.com/first-fret/index.php

I've been playing for several years. I took lessons for a brief while, but most of what I learned was from internet resources. Since almost anybody can submit guitar lessons to websites, a lot of it is on you to find out what is accurate out there. Look around. If you find several sources telling you the same kind of stuff, you're probably good to go. But cyberfret seems to be very good as far as online material goes.

I don't think you'll find a good 'app' for lessons. There are a lot of apps though can give you good resources. Maybe an index of chords or scales. It's good to soak in whatever learning material you can find. Guitar magazines have lessons in them too.

Another point. You can learn a lot online, but the benefit of having personal lessons is that you will have someone who can look at your form. This is something a teacher can gauge only by watching you play. Since you don't have the money for ongoing lessons, I'd suggest you learn a bit on your own and then maybe take a few lessons to address issues in your playing that require someone who knows what they're doing to watch how you play. Best of luck to you. It's a great instrument and it will provide you with years of enjoyment!

13. LittleApple08 macrumors member

If your looking for a program I prefer Guitar Pro. You download the tabs and then the program plays them for you at a comfortable speed. You can also get blues scales and different things. Good luck!

Rock on dude!

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

My brother learnt to play using a Windows program called Guitar Pro, it was very good, and now, he's very good.

15. weckart macrumors 68040

Another freebie to help you keep your guitar in tune is Tuna Pitch, particularly if you don't already have an electronic tuner. It's certainly better than pitch pipes.

http://www.freeverse.com/apps/app/?id=5012&view=goodies

For some reason the 1st string in this app is much louder than the rest.