Learning how to use Xcode / interface builder to program in c/++

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by furycd001, Sep 19, 2011.

1. furycd001 macrumors member

furycd001

Hey

Can anyone here point me in a good direction for learning how to use Xcode & interface builder to start programming in c/++ :? For most of my life I have been living in the .net world inside visual studio, but would like to venture out into programming on my MacBook...

...I have downloaded demo c++ files for creating a basic rss reader & would like pointers on how I can edit/use these with Xcode & interface builder :?

[ YER HELP APPRECHIATED GREATLY ]

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

IDK about having a GUI in C++, but for making a terminal C++ program in Xcode you should start a new project, choose Command Line Tool from the Mac OS X application templates, and then for the Type (on the next page,) choose C++.

Also, unless you have some specific reason to use C++ (IE, you're taking a class that requires it, or you'd like to ensure cross compatibility with Windows,) then I suggest learning Obj-C instead. It'll be more useful in Mac and iOS programming (and maybe Linux too? I'm not sure about that...)

3. furycd001 thread starter macrumors member

furycd001

Thanks for replying :)

Basically when someone in the office overheard me talking about venturing away from .net, they where the one that recommended c++. I may though take a look into obj-c if thats gona be more beneficial or useful...

...As for having an IDE on my windows mechine most of the apps I use I have basically created myself using .net with visual studio. I am looking to do the exact same on my MacBook, but I have no experience in using Xcode or interface builder...

As pointed out in my original first post I have uncompiled files for a basic rss reader. How can I edit these files in Xcode & then possibly link them to an interface created using interface builder :?

4. Jayomat macrumors 6502a

Jayomat

Interface Builder generates Obj-C code. You cannot use IB to build a "c++ user interface"...

5. furycd001 thread starter macrumors member

furycd001

Ok, ok...

...Sooo these demo rss reader tutorial files I have downloaded. How can I compile them & edit there interface :?

+plus is there any good tutorials on learning how to use interface builder :? I have a good few apps on my windows mechine that I would like to soon start porting to my MacBook...

6. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

7. furycd001 thread starter macrumors member

furycd001

Thanks for the reply :) ...Your link should be of much help;