Learning illustrator

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by timmillwood, Apr 30, 2007.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

How easy would it be to draw vector art in illustrator?

do you suggest any tutorials?

2. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Depends on what you are trying to do. Simple line art, complex blending and such? Anyways it isn't that difficult. Best bet would be to get the Classroom in a Book for your version of illustrator. It comes with some great tutorials and a cd of the projects which is a great help. Nothing beats schooling and training to use it but the classroom in a book is by far a good way to start.

Also have you used any programs similar to Illustrator or are you going into it blind?

3. blitzkrieg79 macrumors 6502

blitzkrieg79

It all depends how advanced you wanna go, anyway, there are some great tutorials available for free online such as www.tutorialized.com

4. Trogloxene macrumors regular

Just spend time in it and you will learn. Don't focus on trying to make something you are thinking about, just use the various tools and see what result you get.

-T

5. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Illustrator is difficult to learn, but it's the ideal tool for advanced work.
    Learning the path tools and keyboard shortcuts is absolutely critical to working efficiently in illustrator.

Tutorials are very helpful for learning intermediate concepts, such as how and when to use blends and gradients, and developing efficient path construction techniques.
    A good exercise for learning the path tools would be to draw an accurate path around a complex object, such as a ferris wheel or other object with lots of holes, curves and details. Once you can do this, everything else will come easy.

6. G.Kirby macrumors regular

G.Kirby

Draw in complete shapes. You build your image up by laying one shape on top of another. Each new shape will automatically be drawn in front of what you have drawn previous.

To get my students heads around creating an image in shapes I get them to use Fuzzy Felt or bits of coloured card. :)

7. macdon401 macrumors 6502

macdon401

....I don't think there is an "easy" way for Illustrator or any complex program!
    The ONLY way is to practice and then practice more, but you can never really go wrong watching tutorials or reading them for that matter!
    Good luck, and take your time.
    R

8. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

definitely a great site for learning photoshop...illustrator...all that good stuff

I learned illustrator in a month or so. it's not that hard to use :)