Learning iPhone programming

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by diogosgp, Jul 7, 2011.

1. diogosgp macrumors newbie

Hi guy,
    I'm learning objectc programming for Mac. However my focus will be on iOS. Should I jump to a iOS' learning book or continue learning for Mac?

Cheers

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I jumped from Mac to iOS, because I had so many more ideas for iOS applications than for Mac applications.

3. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Learn Objective-C first then focus on frameworks. This jumping around different books without finishing anything that many people here seem to do is the main reason they never achieve anything.

4. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Agreed. OP - if you want to learn to develop for iOS devices, then this should be your focus for the next few months ahead at least. There are many iOS-related books that get suggested here that will help you.

Check out the stickies at the top of the forum index and/or carry out a search for recommended books, etc.

It's a long slog but if you can stick with it, you'll find it rewarding. Good luck!

RTP.

5. diogosgp thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers mates,
    Im finishing O'Reill book and then I'll start another one. I reckon I've been learning a lot but in this book there aren't many exercises. Therefore it's been hard to fix the codes in my mind.

Cheers

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What is your previous programming experience before Objective-C?

B

7. diogosgp thread starter macrumors newbie

I've learned basic of C and Java on the university three years ago.

8. dok24 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I am definitely in the same boat as you! I have previous Java, and C programming experience in University, and I started a coop job. One of the things they wanted me to implement an iphone application side of my program...and I had never touched the objective C, or iphone programming environments. Having been to university you know that in all programming courses they come attached with a lab for some hands on experience, and to learn by trial and error. If I were you, I would draft up a basic program, and what you want it to do...and then try and make it. It may not work, it may not be designed properly, or be interesting - but at least you will be learning.

9. diogosgp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advise. I'll finish reading this book and then I'm gonna try it.

Cheers

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

11. diogosgp thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac programming for absolute beginners and then I'll jump into "Beginning Mac programming" from Tim Isted