Learning Mac online

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alkalidodo, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Alkalidodo macrumors member

Hi Dear Friends,

I am still new to my Mac and in spite of the fact i have purchased "Switching to the Mac" textbook i wonder whether there is a website that will help me learn this wonderful system on line.The Book is too bulky.Please help.

2. vnle macrumors 6502

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Just use it, and ask questions as you go, it most definitely isn't rocket science. Unless you start to delve deep into the realm of terminal-land.

4. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

5. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

or worst case scenario go into an apple store and get a one to one but i doubt you will need that. just try to leave windows file system thoughts at the door and just take it in.

the best way is give yourself a list of objective things you want to learn and tackle them one by one and along the way you will learn different things.

i grew up on pc's and bought my first mac back in 2006 it was a 13" blackbook and yea it felt very different my windows machines i was raised on but it is very easy to learn once you just dive in.

6. FOX160 macrumors regular

I am new to this too and has the guy says leave windows thinking at the door.

Use the online help and go through the categorise and then practise
    each stage and then start linking things together, as most icons are
    on all there software.
    I do the above and use the one to one when i get stuck

The Apple software is so simple to use that being you and i have been Window users that make so hard to understand its simplicity.

If you dont have there one to one book up a workshop in a store near to you.
    these are group based and offer great help and believe is free!

7. iMackPro macrumors 6502

what exactly do yo not understand?
    When i bought my first mac ever i learned the OS in like 2 hours, im just not sure what you're not understanding.

Few noobie things:
    Just because you click on an application doesn't quit the application just closes the window.
    when you're looking for something search it in finder, just make sure you're searching the whole HDD and not just one folder or something.
    Spotlight is also a good search tool, and its a calculator =)
    you need mwv player for mac to play windows media i believe, its a free app.
    VLC plays nearly any file you have.
    you can make your trackpad right click under preferences if you want
    system preferences is like control panel on a windows machine
    Command Q is the quickest way to close an application.
    four finger down shows you all of your open pages, very handy, i cant even imagine using a mac that doesn't have this gesture (my friends have older macs that use corners and i want to kill myself when i use their macs, its so slow and not easy)
    you can pick which webpages are in your top sites, and remove the ones that are currently in there.
    google anything you don't understand.
    Office 2011 on Mac is nearly the same as Office on Windows.
    Are you using trackpad or do you have a mouse,? buy a trackpad if you have a Mac Desktop.
    You and add and delete which folders are not the Left side of the finder box.

those are a lot of the common switching troubles, and i just did all of that in my head in about 20 seconds lol. this is all my parents had trouble with when they first got their mac. ummmmmmm.. the three bars in the top right is wifi? lol. it looks for routers for you and you simply click on the connection you want to use.

8. iMackPro macrumors 6502

Installing Applications gets its own post

This is also a very different way to install from windows and my parents had trouble with this at first too…

So once you download a file.
    its under your downloads tab, at first you may click the download tab like 300 times because you don't see it loading in the internet explorer page like windows does, it goes to the download box.

simply double click what you want to install and it'll show up and give you the option as a disk image DMG. thats not the file you downloaded its the wizard that installs the application.

Double click the DMG thats on your desktop, if a box hasn't already popped up, and drag that app you downloaded to your APPLICATIONS, it'll copy it, then drag your DMG to trashcan and open your new app in your app folder. poof done!

I just quickly put this all together, im sure this a better way of putting my past 2 posts but this really should get your started on using your mac.

9. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

And even Terminal isn't terrible... plus, you'll learn what really goes on under the hood of Mac OS X.