Learning Music and DJ

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by alexandre16, Jan 8, 2012.

1. alexandre16 macrumors member

Hi everyone
    I want to create some musics and mix some musics etc, some like a dj and creating my music effects etc, like djs, music producer etc.
    I was searching some information on the internet, but i need some opinions of experience people, because i want to go to the best way, if can advise me about how i should start, it is pretty cool for me, some like, first software, first hardware, etc etc i have a mackbook and create music on that.

tell me some like:

software:
    1º ......
    2º ......

hardware:
    1º...
    2º...

Thanks people :)

2. dj-anon macrumors member

dj-anon

3. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

+1 To most of what DJ-Anon said. However i would check out Virtual DJ as well for software. Virtual DJ and traktor really are neck and neck when it comes to software. on the hardware front. Pioneer is sort of the standard but really a lot of their new stuff is overpriced. You should also check out Numark, Hercules, Vestax and a few others. There are a lot of things you will need to decide on. Do you want 2 deck? 4 deck? Do you want to be able to mix video? How much money do you want to spend. What software do you want to use. If you're just wanting to dip your toes in and see, I would highly recommend the Numark Mixtrack Pro as a beginner deck. The reviews are top notch and really it alsmot can't be beat in the $250 price range. I whole heartedly agree on the Ableton software though. Personally I use logic, but purely because I get it 100% free and legal so it's hard to beat that. Honestly using both logic and Ableton is in my future. That's my $.02

4. christurbo macrumors regular

MacBook Pro/Air

Traktor Pro 2

Denon DN-MC6000 / Traktor Kontrol S4/S2 depending on how many decks you want to mix.

5. alexandre16 thread starter macrumors member

Oh, thanks everyone for all the help, it is great, about the hardware i know that pioneer is the most used and maybe the best, but for now, i will only learn and i dont want to spend money with hardware, only want to learn with the software and then when i think that i have some knowledge about how the music production and dj works, i will buy the hardware.

For now, i will start with ableton suite to create music, and virtual dj/ tracktor to mix some musics.

It is a good way to start? or should i do something different or use something different?

Thanks for all help :)

6. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

The thing is if you're going to want to real DJ, you want the hardware. There is no easier or better way to learn the software than to play with it. That's why I recommend getting a decent piece of hardware to play with right away. The Denon is badass. That is the Deck that I will be using, but $800 is a lot of money to start out with. if you have the money for that, and ableton, go ahead, you won't be disappointed. Pay attention to what people on here say. Look at what they list, research and decide what's best for you! It's a matter of what you think will work for you, not what everyone else thinks you should use!

7. alexandre16 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all opinions and helps, it was great for me :)

i will start to learn, garageband and ableton, to learn how to create music, and then will buy 2 pioneer players and 1 pioneer mixer.

Only one more question, i can use some voice or musics that already exist and mix this music and then sell it? or publish on youtube etc?

8. CraigCyril macrumors newbie

learning DJ

I know that learning DJ or music is not a easy task, you can start learning music if you have interest in it.

9. HighTopFade macrumors regular

HighTopFade

Traktor S4. It includes the hardware and software.

I believe this will be the new standard.

10. christurbo macrumors regular

Not neccesarily - Denon is a great platform that is well built [metal construction] unlike the plastic S4/S2.

Here is mine on the Air I have just received.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob_UqgD-0Dw

:apple:

11. Papanate macrumors regular

You can not legally sell music by other artist without a signed release from them saying you can. Harry Fox Agency is good at securing releases for what you want to do.

It sounds like you want to create what is known as a 'Mash Up'...and this kind of material falls under the same category as Samples. It's a legal nightmare these days if you use other peoples stuff and try to sell it.

12. HighTopFade macrumors regular

HighTopFade

I'm still at work and can't watch the video yet.

The MC6000 is a nice piece. It's nice how it can work as an analog mixer. I don't personally use an S4 but only mentioned it because of it's popularity and rave reviews on the DJ forums I've lurked.

13. macmusician.exe macrumors newbie

macmusician.exe

Do you want to produce/compose music also? If you want to do that you'll want to get some sort of digital audio workstation (DAW), such as Logic Pro (what I prefer), Pro Tools (industry standard), Cubase, Ableton (best for live performances), FL Studio (referred to as Fruity Loops), and others.

I don't want to attempt to persuade you to use Logic, but I will tell you why I use it. It comes with a large library of software instruments, has large number of good, quality effects, and also a large number of plug-ins that are extremely useful. It is available on the App Store now also and if you buy it in a retail store it will run $499 for Logic Studio (Logic Pro 9 and MainStage 2). On the App Store it's only $199 for Logic Pro 9 itself. The large number of software instruments and plug-ins that come with it make it perfect for electronic and hip hop music. If what you want to create will be mainly made up of instruments that you make on your computer rather than instruments played by musicians and recorded I believe it is better than Pro Tools, simply because of the things that it already includes. Logic works very well for recording also. On the bad side of it, it is very complex and difficult for a beginner, but very similar to Garageband so fool around with that first!!!! (It should be on your Mac already. If not you can get it on the App Store) If you decide to use Logic there are Youtube videos on almost anything you could think of (as well as most DAWs) so you should pick it up quickly with an internet connection.

Logic for $199