Learning OS X - Sick of Windows!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zabeth24, Apr 19, 2007.

1. zabeth24 macrumors newbie

I'm a student in Computer Science who just recently purchased a Macbook(sitting in Alaka right now waiting to finish the trip to my house lol). Thing is, I am a life long Windows user (read: Mac noob). I am looking to learn as much as I can about OS X so I can use it as a Mac, not as Windows with a fancier GUI.

So can anyone point me in the direction of some good websites for learning about OS x?
    I'm also looking for some cool Mac-only apps/features (like Smackbook or Macsabre). Any advice?

Thanks so much!

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

4. marine610610 macrumors regular

Im using the missing manual. I have plenty of experience as a network admin for an all windows network but i was lost in the sauce on a Mac. This book dosent make you an expert, but it brings you up to speed on the basics...

5. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Welcome Aboard!

I've used and worked with both platforms (Mac and Windows) for many years and IMHO OS X is head and tail above Windows. Personally I believe Vista is a disaster. We can't even roll it out in our corporate environment because there are so many applications and peripherals that still do not function correctly with it.

Enjoy the change... It will just keep getting better. :cool:

6. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Great book and highly recommended. The Jaguar edition of this same book helped me a great deal when I switched a few years back.

7. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

it took me awhile to accept it, but QuickSilver is a great app. I removed all my dock icons, and barely use my dock anymore. it just sits hidden on the side with the finder and trash can! I've set my hot key for it as Apple-Space, there by replacing spotlight with QS :)

Hope u adopt it faster than i did!

8. hircus macrumors member

And to get a taste of QuickSilver before your laptop arrive, check out Launchy. It's QS-inspired, and amazingly, most Windows users have not heard of it yet.

9. Diejws macrumors member

Diejws

This is what I bought waiting for mine to arrive. Really gets you up to speed and has some tips and tricks you might not learn so easily otherwise.

10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Personally I think the best way to learn is play. Experience it for yourself. Much of the goodies are quite obvious and easy to use. The more hidden stuff and keyboard shortcuts can all be found on the wonderful and free MacRumors :D

11. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Hope you enjoy your new Mac! For myself, I haven't purchased my MacBook yet.. but I'm sure this thread will help me out later down the road. Cheers!

12. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin