Learning OSX and going beyond beginners/intermediate

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JSpence, Jun 26, 2012.

1. JSpence macrumors regular

JSpence

So I'm 25 years old and I know a little bit about a little bit. I understand the basics of computing obviously due to my age, and I enjoy technology, so I've got more than your average amount of experience under my belt.

I want to start learning more about OSX and Mac computers on a deeper level and ma looking for a good book or two to invest in. I'd like to be able to tinker with some older models in my free time, and although I am aware I can google forums and browse MacRumors for tidbits, I wouldn't mind a self-structured 'course' on learning more than the average Joe.

Just how much do I want to learn? I'm considering taking an Apple Certification Training course (ACT?) but there isn't one in my area right now. I'd like to actually try and learn this stuff in my free time and eventually apply as an Apple Genius. That's the level I aspire to get to. I understand I have a bit of a passion here and so I want to persure it.

If you have any great book recommendations/online courses to consider, please share! Online links are welcome. I've searched amazon book best-sellers for Apple, but they only really go into the pro software side like Final Cut and Pro Tools.

Thank you :)

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Not a book, but i'd recommend searching itunes podcasts for Automator and Applescript. Don't have my mac here, but I think one of them is "Mac OS Automation made simple"

Those two technologies are amazing compared to what is available in the windows world for non-developer types, especially automator (applescript is more powerful of course, but automator can do a lot of the general day to day stuff most users want without writing any code, in perhaps 5 minutes if you've spent a little time learning how to use it).

For example, a photographer friend of mine has a wireless card in his camera that automatically uploads photos to his mac. This folder has a folder action assigned to it to crop/resize/rename/convert/whatever automatically and place it in an appropriate folder on his machine. Saves a heap of time by automating drudge work that he shouldn't be needing to concern himself with.

All done with automator, and it took him very little time to set up. I've got a similar setup for auto-converting media files into AppleTV format. Drag file to folder, gets converted automatically and the new copy placed in a different folder.

3. JSpence thread starter macrumors regular

JSpence

Thank you! Will check this out. Also got off the phone with a friend and was pointed towards an A+ cert. for my beginning.