Learning Photoshop - Is a book a good way?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wgilles, Aug 3, 2008.

1. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

Hi there,
    I'm fairly new to Photoshop CS3. I can do basic things like retouching photos and making selections, etc. but still feel overwhelmed by CS3. I was looking at the Photoshop 1 to 1 book by Deke McClelland (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596529759/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) and was wondering if this is a good way to get some more info on CS3 and get better at it. I will be using CS3 pretty much only for Photographs and for some various graphic design type stuff. Will the book be a good companion on my journey into CS3?

2. Mac In School macrumors 65816

3. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Buy it, use it through trial and error. That is the best way to learn it in my opinion. Once you know the basics then the book is so much easier to follow.

4. wgilles thread starter macrumors 6502

wgilles

I forgot to add, I have that one. My problem is I am just doing things but don't understand why. I want to do things on my own and understand why I'm doing it.

5. isoceles macrumors member

isoceles

I agree. Lynda is great. Just sit back one afternoon and watch the videos. Nuff said.

6. Hates macrumors regular

If you already have the book it sounds like your way forward is just to keeping using PS and when you start to feel know what you want to achieve when it comes to editing a photo, use the books you already have and the internet for reference.

I found CS3 for Photographers good to read just for transitioning from CS2. It means that when I'm sitting there trying to do something or get a look my brain kind of goes "Yeah I've remember reading about this".

7. wgilles thread starter macrumors 6502

wgilles

Well I picked up the 1 on 1 book and am looking at some of the video classes on Lynda.com. Hopefully it works out good. I'll keep you posted.