Learning Piano?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GFLPraxis, Mar 5, 2010.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

When I was young, I used to take piano classes and progressed fairly far, but eventually stopped playing. I'm interested in learning again, and recently picked up a USB keyboard that works with GarageBand. I know I'm still capable of developing the muscle memory for it; I type at 120 WPM, play Guitar Hero on expert, and compete in national Smash Bros tournaments (you'd be surprised at the technicality).

So, I've got the USB keyboard. I was wondering if anyone has any tips as to self-learning it; maybe online lessons somewhere, or if someone knows of some kind of app that works with the USB MIDI keyboards?

2. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

First off, there's alot you can do with Garage Band and MIDI. Its really fun. The fact that you learned when you were younger, i think it will help. I one day decided to start laying the [pano so i went on youtube and started learning hip hop songs and i can play very fast now.
    So if i were you, i would go get lessons on youtube.

This guy gives excellent instructions: http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncheekeasy

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Don't play by ear, it is the worst way to learn piano. Get some lesson books and learn the basic skills first.

Guitar Hero is not the way to learn to play, throw out everything you have learned through it.

4. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

What you want in learning piano is not only learning to play but also to learn every chord that exists.

This way you can improvise, or play a song by ear just by knowing in what tonality the song is.

(However I'm not a pianist, I'm a saxophonist, so don't ask me for advice on this...)

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not only is this good advice, but it works across the board for every instrument. From starting out as a bassoonist going to sax, clarinet, baritone, guitar, bass (slap, string, electric), knowing chords not only helps, butimproves your "mind's ear" on what you're playing, and how the music is played. For example, if trained enough, you can listen to a song and tell exactly what key the entire song is played in.

As far as Guitar hero goes, the only thing it will help you with is dexterity. That is a good thing, but anything else will screw you over. Case in point: Play Through the Fire and Flames by Dragonforce on GH, then pick up the tablature from it and try to play it. You'll realize that instinctively you'll want to play the GH notes, which won't do. But it will help you with dexterity across the keys on a piano, just as it will across a fretboard on a guitar.

BL.

6. GS17 macrumors member

GS17

Get the piano software from www.emediaMusic.com works great and uses the midi connection to check your progress

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I had around 2 years worth of lessons but I just taught myself after a while. Figured I'd never learn sheet music so I just learned by ear from there.

Oh and hey Praxis mate! I do all my OSTs in Garageband too with 2 midi keyboards.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The main things you want to learn are scales and chord progression. Get the fundamentals down first. Playing by ear is the worst thing you can do as you will learn bad habits that are hard to break.
    If you can't read sheet music what is the point of learning?

9. 21stcenturykid macrumors 6502

Be wary of the instructional websites. Theres a lot of absolute idiots on them that think they know what they're on about but really haven't a clue. Your better off buying a few books or a getting some lessons from a real teacher.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For the fun of playing. I can just listen to a song once and know what chords were used, the melody etc.

11. piano-teacher macrumors newbie

Listen to everyone who is advising you to learn chords, it's a great idea. Being a more contemporary piano teacher, I teach all my students the chord method. You'd be amazed how good a song can sound just by playing a simple melody line with your right hand, and chords with your left hand.

The following YouTube video will demonstrate the chord method in its simplest form. It's an awesome method. I would have given up piano many years ago if I hadn't learned chord style piano. Hope this helps. Enjoy! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDLXDXvkMUM&feature=player_embedded

http://www.easy-chord-piano-lessons.com/shesalwaysawoman.html

12. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

Apparently, Ray Charles learned the piano in the worst way but nevertheless made it to fame. I would also point out that the Beatles learned to read sheet music only after they became famous.

History has proven you wrong.