Learning Python

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by lynkynpark86, Feb 26, 2011.

1. lynkynpark86 macrumors 6502

I've been told that Python is the best programing language for beginners. I tried "Dive Into Python", but I don't understand half of it. Are there any python guides for people like me who just learned applescript, and don't know what anything more complex than "variable" is as far as programing goes? Also, If someone thinks there is a better first language than python, please tell me! I've been told java is good for beginners, but I think that's about 20 steps ahead of me.

2. zeta function macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat as you, I decided to learn python for my first programming language. 'Dive into Python' was the first book I tried and couldn't really understand anything after around 10 pages.

Now, I'm reading "Absolute Beginner's Guide to Python 3" and I'm almost 100 pages in and so far I was able to follow everything. I am not really sure if it's a 'good' book because it's the first time I'm being exposed to programming, but it's really easy to follow and it really is a beginner book. You don't need to have any prior knowledge whatsoever.

3. Glumpfner macrumors regular

Also don't just read those books from A-Z, try out what you learned straight away or else you will forget it again. And if you didn't understand one part, read it again and experiment around on your IDE.