Learning Swift for fun?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by grmlin, Jun 6, 2019.

1. grmlin macrumors member

grmlin

Hi all,
    I'm a frontend developer (for a long time), currently building webapps with React and all the things.

I'm feeling the itch to do something new in the evenings on my couch. Swift looks interesting, and it would be new. Is it worth it and good enough these days? I remember reading a lot of negative posts back when it released.
    I could just use React Native, but right now I don't care for platforms, using iPhone, iPad, macOs... And React native would be more of the same I already do at work.

I have no interest in digging into Objective C, I never liked the language from the outside. Is it still mandatory to learn it in 2019 with SwiftUI on the horizon?

Thanks all, hearing about any experiences with Swift would be great!

2. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

Every once in a while I experience an odd behavior that makes me research how/why something is acting an unexplained way and it turns out to be Objective C related. It's not a regular occurrence though.

3. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

I recommend getting apples books on swift “intro to app development with swift” and “app development with swift.” These are available for free from the iBooks store. These two books in conjunction should get you up to speed on writing swift code and also get you comfortable with writing apps using UIKit.

4. grmlin thread starter macrumors member

grmlin

5. grandM macrumors 65816

grandM

I'd hold on till new books come out with SwiftUI

6. grmlin thread starter macrumors member

grmlin

That’s probably a good idea. I don’t want to install a beta OS on my Mac though, I guess I’ll have to wait a little longer then

7. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

8. grmlin thread starter macrumors member

grmlin

9. izharkalid macrumors newbie

i want to start learning ios development where can i start ?

10. Loki.Mephisto macrumors 6502a

Loki.Mephisto

Germany / Austria - Mozart, no Kangaroos!
    Good resource is Standfords CS193P. Excellent course by Paul Hegarty. Unfortunately, the Fall 2018/19 course is not available.
    Latest course is iOS 11/Swift 4 available on iTunes U oder Youtube. Nevertheless its still relevant, really excellent, you should check it out. Lots of very good explanation, background and coding demos.

11. jerwin macrumors 68020

what's the maximum you can do without paying Apple for the privilege? For instance, can you run code on your own devices without being tethered to a host mac?

12. MEJHarrison, Jun 10, 2019 at 10:35 AM
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019 at 1:12 PM

MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

Without paying it would appear that you can sign no more than 10 apps per week and you can have 3 installed on your own device at any one time.

There also used to be a limit where you could only connect 3 devices to your account. I assume that restriction still stands. I've not tried to add a fourth just yet.