Learning to develop on the iPhone help needed

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by iPhone4UK, Jul 1, 2010.

1. iPhone4UK macrumors 6502

I hope this is in the right place to ask these questions:
    How long do you thing i would take to learn the xcode language from a complete beginners point of view?
    Do you think there is still money in the app store or am i coming to it to late?
    I have lots of spare time so i can not wait to get stuck in.
    Thanks

2. lawrence32 macrumors member

There is always money to be made as long as you're not making crap apps with little to no functions.

If you can make something original you will do fine. If you have programmed with other platforms before then learning it should not be too hard. You will just have to get to know the api.

I would just do it for fun at first and see where it takes you.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) Read the stickies at the top of this forum
    2) Search: this sort of topic is started frequently
    3) XCode is not a language. It's the IDE (the tool you use to write the code). The language used for programming iOS apps is Objective-C.

4. Deano.uk macrumors regular

Deano.uk

Download Xcode and tinker with it.

Go to YouTube and search "make iPhone apps" and it'll have a few beginner tutorials.

Have alook at www.gamesalad.com

It's a free tool that enables you to make games. Although you have to pay to publish them, but a very easy interface and a good community come with it :)

5. dmn8 macrumors member

Another great resource is iTunes-U. Just go into iTunes and search for Stanford iPhone. You can go thru Stanford's iPhone Application Development course free. Actually good for anyone that does this...