Learning to make dashboard widgets

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by MacBook-Gal, Feb 11, 2008.

1. MacBook-Gal macrumors regular

I am wanting to learn how to make widgets, and am trying to decide what the best way of getting started would be. I saw these four books on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/sy...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=253457301&pf_rd_i=0321330218 and was wondering if they are what I need, or if they are in-depth enough. Has anyone on here ever read them? Are there any other books or resources.....esp those for learning HTML that you would recommend instead?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!:)

2. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Have you installed DashCode? I just started playing with that, and you can import other widgets to see how they are made.

3. MacBook-Gal thread starter macrumors regular

No, I haven't installed DashCode yet. It sounds like something that I will want to get. Is there a version of DashCode that is compatible with Tiger, or do you have to have Leopard for it?

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

pretty sure you have to have leopard.

5. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Yeah, there was a brief public beta for Tiger I believe, but it is expired now. DashCode comes with Leopard and it's quite a nice tool.

6. MacBook-Gal thread starter macrumors regular

So it would probably be worth upgrading to Leopard to get it and the other newest XCode developer tools? I have been thinking about getting Leopard anyway and that would make a great excuse to finally do it.:D

7. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I think so. Dashcode is an excellent tool for creating widgets. You can see some of the widgets I have created using Dashcode by clicking the link in my sig.

Some of them are also available on Apple's download pages, but not all as ADC hasn't been working for a while now!