Learning to use spotlight

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ee99ee, May 3, 2007.

1. ee99ee macrumors 6502

ee99ee

So I switched to a mac last year, and I've really fallen in love with the way everything works. Things just "work," and it's great. I come from a strong UNIX background, so having that under the hood works best for me anyway.

Anyway, I hadn't really ever used spotlight until around last month. Even more recently, I started using MailTags and slowing no longer using filers for mail in Mail.app.

All my life I always had massive amounts of filters for my mail, and I had even more rules that would put specific types of mail in the right place. It worked great, but the amount of folders I have today is really over the top.

I know some of you just put all of your mail in one folder and search on it instead of digging through folders. I've tried this approach, but I always walk away pissed off because I can't find anything. I try to remember a word that was used in the conversation, or type who it was from, or something specific that I wind up misspelling. Obviously spotlight can't read my mind, but it sure can come close.

What tips do you guys have for finding my mail easier and faster? I don't know why, but I really like the idea of putting everything in one big pile then using spotlight to find what I'm looking for -- it's just hard to break old habits.

-Chris

2. yagran macrumors 6502a

just dont store all your emails!? if its old and youve read it...delete it :D

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I keep as little mail as possible. That's all I got for you. I don't understand people that save mail from 10 years ago.

4. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

why should we delete our e-mails, dose it make the mac slower?

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Not really slower but... I dunno. I just don't need them. I used to keep all my e-mails but after a while I decided why? I never read the old ones anyway.

6. yagran macrumors 6502a

so on your phone..do you keep archives of all your texts? no. you read then delete (unless you keep it to remind u to do something later). why keep old email? it wont make anything slower as such theres just no point!

7. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

Yeah, I keep email. I only have messages back to August of last year. Maybe I should clean house...

-Chris

8. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Well personally, I organize my mail by mailbox and by boxes for commonly received mail. I have one account for personal emails, another for net registrations and net messages, and one that is a dedicated school account. I have folders with rules on them for things like facebook notifications, various forum notifications, jokes that I get daily, online orders from newegg and such. Each thing gets its own folder, and the rules filter down the tons of email that I get, rather nicely. I also archive my emails, so that email that is older than 3 months gets thrown into its own folder, separated by mailbox. This way, my inboxes don't get too bloated.

Of course, when I can't find something (which is rare), spotlight is always there as a great backup. :)