Learning to write iPhone apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sportsfanMAW, Feb 16, 2009.

1. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm 17 and know nothing about programming but I want to learn how to write iPhone apps because I have some cool ideas. Can someone please show me a good place to start. Every place I go it feels like they assume you know some sort of programming language, which I don't!

Thanks!

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

This website has helped me a lot:

http://www.iphonesdkarticles.com/

They do somewhat expect you to know how to write in Cocoa, but the code is shown on the website. So to perform a certain function in Xcode, you can just copy and paste from the website. Another thing you will need to get is the iPhone SDK. You can download it for free from the Apple developer website.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'm gonna suggest two things: 1) Stop by the iPhone Programming forum (especially paying attention to the stickies and guides at the top of the thread) and 2) you're gonna be better off if you learn programming before you learn writing iPhone apps!

4. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I know thats true, but its still something cool to fool around with. I'm only 14 and I already have made a few simple tab-bar based apps without needing a programming language.

5. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

Yes that's kinda what I was asking for, good places to learn anything that will help me in getting to writing iphone apps.

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

There's a very good Xcode tutorial here: http://www.cocoalab.com/

I don't know if it's the best place to start since I'm learning myself, but this tutorial doesn't assume knowledge of any programming language and teaches you the fundamentals.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's not something you learn overnight. Or over a month. Probably more like multiple months or years before you are any good.

8. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome! Thank you!