Learning UNIX w/ a Mac Flavor

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DarumaBlue, Jun 19, 2009.

1. DarumaBlue macrumors newbie

I'm looking to finally step into the command line and see what all the fuss is about. I've grown up on GUIs and never really understood the appeal of mashing in key commands to navigate directories when mouse clicks and shiny visuals seem to make things so much faster. But there seems to be a lot of power undr OSX's hood and I'd like to learn about it.

Does anybody have good recommendations for learning resource on Terminal? Specifically those that use OSX as a jumping off point?

I found Peepcode's podcast on the subject, but budget's are thin right now, and I can't help feeling bad about paying for information I know I can get elsewhere (possibly through the library) for free.

Thanks in advance.

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

3. mslide macrumors 6502a

Indeed there is a lot of power under the hood. Since OSX is a unix operating system, on the command line it is not much different than any other unix-like operating system, like Linux or FreeBSD. In fact, one of the main reasons I first bought a Mac is because it is a unix os.

Everything you need to know is freely available by googling. I'd start with any unix intro website. Google 'unix introduction'. That will give you the basics. How to navigate around your computer, your home directory, how to do basic file operations, etc.

If you want to start learning how to do more powerful things, like shell scripting, then google "bash introduction". Bash is the default 'shell' for many unix os's, including osx.

Tip: 'man' is your friend. The 'man' program is basically your help system on the command line. From the command line, type 'man <command>' and it will pull a manual page about that command ('q' to exit). For example: 'man ls'.

I'd say the exact opposite :)

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Also be careful what you do in the terminal window - it's easy to enter a command that can really mess up OSx.

A good terminal window is better than a GUI in lots of cases - you can get things done faster and you don't have to take your hands off the keyboard. Remember that *nix boxes didn't have GUIs back in the day. I worked a lot with Unix before I used a GUI. I often stuck to the terminal since it was faster for me, even when editing files. Lots of people learned editing with Emacs, which is a very powerful editor.