Learning XCode - Help Please

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by nelsencaleb, May 30, 2010.

1. nelsencaleb macrumors regular

Hello. Decided to attempt XCode in the interest of wanting to make an application. So I have located a simple tutorial to start learning with.

Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pReuTG_w-ME&feature=related
    I made it all the way up to 2:16 and then they wanted me to start dragging buttons and whatnot into this window. I have the window open, I have AppController made, I just don't have all of those fancy drag and drop buttons. It looks like the "fancy drag and drop buttons" box he's using is called "cocoa controls. How do I get that box? I'm using the latest version of XCode I'm pretty sure. I downloaded it right off developer.apple.com after signing up for an account.

Hopefully someone will have the answer for me and also thanks in advance.

- Caleb

New Issue: When I right click the 'AppController' in 'MainMenu.xib - English' it doesn't show up with the same stuffs as in the video (check 3:09). I am now trying to 'Instantiate AppController'.

Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pReuTG_w-ME&feature=related
    Please help,

Caleb (will keep searching Interface Builder and messing around with it)

2. szymczyk macrumors regular

The video you're trying to follow is over 3 years old. Xcode and Interface Builder have changed a lot in the past 3 years. You would be better off watching a video tutorial that uses a newer version of Xcode.

3. xStep macrumors 68000

I suggest you check out the Stanford iPhone Programming course on iTunes U. Even if your focus will be OS X, you should get enough out of it to kick start you.

4. nelsencaleb thread starter macrumors regular

Hello, did not realize it was over 3 years old. I just thought he had it set up to his personal preferences. Where would I find a current tutorial (video preferred).

[QOUTE]I suggest you check out the Stanford iPhone Programming course on iTunes U. Even if your focus will be OS X, you should get enough out of it to kick start you.
    [/QOUTE]

I don't understand how to do this. Will this cost me money? What do I go to in iTunes? The ITunes Store? Is the iPhone Programming easier to work with and does it matter if I have an iPhone or not, because I don't have an iPhone.

Thanks for the help,

Caleb

5. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

How much programming experience do you have? If you're completely green and want to get started doing Cocoa programming, I would suggest starting with this tutorial on learning C on the Mac.

Next I would buy the Kochan book "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" and then follow that up with Hillegass' "Cocoa Programming for Mac OSX."

If you're just getting started you don't need to be mucking about in interface builder just yet.

6. szymczyk macrumors regular

Do a search for mac programming on YouTube. I found a series of tutorials on learning C on the Mac and a series of Mac programming lessons on the first page of search results.

7. xStep macrumors 68000

It's free and there is a simulator in the developer tools, assuming you have a recent version. You may have to download the iPhone SDK though. Yes, its free too, but you would need a free developer account.

Still, some of the basics in that course will apply to OS X. You can find it by searching for 'Stanford iPhone Programing' in the iTunes search box. Again, the basic assumption is that you have an iTunes account so that you can connect.

Oh, and you want the 2010 version.

8. nelsencaleb thread starter macrumors regular

Is that where I want to start? I've been youtubeing XCode Tutorials. Is C the like "frame work" of it all? I'll watch some and report back.

OK, have downloaded the iPhone SDK 3.2 which is the latest "stable" release. They do have the SDK 4 "Beta" but I'll just stick to 3.2 for now. Also will type standford iphone programming 2010 into itunes search.

Thanks,

Caleb.

9. skunkworker macrumors regular

Um in Mac OS X, the main programming language is Objective-C, which is a strict superset of C. Beginning programming I would spend my time learning objective c first.

10. szymczyk macrumors regular