Learnt anything new from iPhone X review vids?

Ralfi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Noticing the many review vids going over some of the same topics that were covered in the keynote & subsequent hands on vids that same day.

If you've spotted anything new, share it here.

I've just got two for now....one I'm not sure of - when the True Depth camera's in use, its various sensors flash. This may be something only the filming camera catches, but it did look like you get a bit of a light show up there when unlocking, using Animoji etc.

The other thing was Reachability. Not something I've used a lot, but may(?) with the increased height of the X. Anyway, to conjure this feature, you swipe down on the Home Bar....not much room to swipe there if you have a prominent case lip, so watch out for that.

Any other new features/things you were previously unaware of?

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Noticing the many review vids going over some of the same topics that were covered in the keynote & subsequent hands on vids that same day.

If you've spotted anything new, share it here.

I've just got two for now....one I'm not sure of - when the True Depth camera's in use, its various sensors flash. This may be something only the filming camera catches, but it did look like you get a bit of a light show up there when unlocking, using Animoji etc.

The other thing was Reachability. Not something I've used a lot, but may(?) with the increased height of the X. Anyway, to conjure this feature, you swipe down on the Home Bar....not much room to swipe there if you have a prominent case lip, so watch out for that.

Any other new features/things you were previously unaware of?
The flashing you're seeing is visible light to camera sensors, but the human eye will not be able to see that wavelength. It won't flash for you.

Reactions: Ralfi

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
.one I'm not sure of - when the True Depth camera's in use, its various sensors flash. This may be something only the filming camera catches, but it did look like you get a bit of a light show up there when unlocking, using Animoji etc.
the guy who did the techCrunch review says you totally can not see it.
[doublepost=1509513345][/doublepost]
[edit] -- here:

"If you unlock in the dark it works perfectly, but no one sees anything coming from the phone — just for the record."

https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/31/review-the-iphone-x-goes-to-disneyland/

Reactions: Ralfi

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
Looks like Apple gave all these reviewers a list of features to talk about...anyone else notice how they’re all talking about the exact same features in the same order ? At least most of them...

Ralfi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Ok, another thing is when you swipe down for Control Centre, you not only get your Battery % (which I knew), but you get all the other Status Bar information that would normally appear on older iPhones' Status Bar.

Also, when swiping down & viewing Notifications, the 'Ear' left of the notch has a right-to-left scrolling Network Carrier text.
[doublepost=1509514171][/doublepost]
Looks like Apple gave all these reviewers a list of features to talk about...anyone else notice how they’re all talking about the exact same features in the same order ? At least most of them...
Not sure about same order, but I am getting tired of them going on about the same things, hence this thread.

(Also tired of only seeing the Silver model :D . Seriously haven't seen one Space Grey yet heh..........Although probably understandable that they gave out silver ones for these early reviews as they want the rear camera to stand out perhaps).

Another thing i've noticed, with the Status Bar icons.......I can't help feel Apple have missed the opportunity to use icons on 2 rows. Look at the below (@5:53) & you can see that there's room for another 4 icons (2 on each 'ear') above the existing ones. & I don't think it'll even looked cramped as there's spacing up there too.

Last edited:

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
If you’re looking at the phone and it’s ringing or receiving a text message, it becomes quieter.

If you’re looking at the phone the screen won’t timeout and dim, but if you look away without locking it, it’ll dim the display to save battery.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2009
Ok, another thing is when you swipe down for Control Centre, you not only get your Battery % (which I knew), but you get all the other Status Bar information that would normally appear on older iPhones' Status Bar.

Also, when swiping down & viewing Notifications, the 'Ear' left of the notch has a right-to-left scrolling Network Carrier text.
[doublepost=1509514171][/doublepost]
Not sure about same order, but I am getting tired of them going on about the same things, hence this thread.

(Also tired of only seeing the Silver model :D . Seriously haven't seen one Space Grey yet heh).
It's almost like the iPhone X has a specific list of features new to any iPhone model before it.