Leasing a car in another state and leaving it there

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by coolwater, Apr 12, 2010.

  1. coolwater macrumors 6502a


    Jun 8, 2009
    Let's say..

    1. I live in NY and my parents live in CA.

    2. I spend a little less than half a year in CA near my parents' home.

    3. I'd need to lease a car in CA for my own use when I'm there.

    4. My home address is in NY and my driver's license is issued by NY.

    5. Can I even lease my own car in CA with my NY license and address? (I'm leaving it there at my parents' house and the car has to be registered and insured in CA.)
  2. pilotError macrumors 68020


    Apr 12, 2006
    Long Island
    I know a couple of folks who do this since they Ferry Commute to CT from Long Island. They leave the car on the CT side, but they are registered in NY. You might want to call motor vehicles and ask as that's a tricky one.

    Typically they want you to register the car where you live the longest (also have friends who live 1/2 year in Florida).

Share This Page