Leasing a Mac Pro with Apple UK - Is it worth it ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fredsarran, Jun 4, 2009.

1. fredsarran macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Hello folks,

I own a iMac and I very much like it. But I do like to change of Mac computers every 2 years or so, in order to stay up to date. But purchasing each time feels stupid and has a heavy impact on my finances.

I was wondering, because I could not find much info on the net, how much would I need to pay (when leasing) every month or week (over 3 years), for a mac pro fully upgraded with 2 Apple LED 24 inch display ? (it has a value of over £12000 if purchasing).

And, is it worth it ? Would it be the same amount than if I was buying it over 3 years with Apple Financing Services ?

Thanks for your answers. I will try to call Apple again tomorrow. Today they are obviously too busy :)

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

3. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

http://www.apple.com/uk/financing/professional/

I spoke with a Customer person on Apple Chat UK, and told me that individual can also lease, but that I need to phone in for details.

4. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

First if you dont need it dont buy it , All you doing is wasting money .

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Of course it isn't worth it, you can sell a system you own and Mac Pros hold value. If you want proper buying advice then post the configuration you are considering what you want the system for. From what you have said so far it seems you are just going to throw money away on a bad purchase.

6. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Sorry folks, but I do not get your point. I love computers, especially Apple Mac. I use them for absolutely everything, and I certainly push them to there limits. I do a lot of videos and photos editing. Web and graphic designing. At the same time, I love games and the latest certainly needs power.

I could very easily do with more power and storage. And more screen estate.

At the end of the day, my question is not the above, but I was asking about : Is it worth leasing with Apple ? I mean, that would allow me to change or upgrade my computer without drastic costs and without a massive impact on my finances.

I anyway change of computers every 2 years or so, in order to stay updated.

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

In order to know if it's worth it, you'd have to first get a quote from Apple as to how much the leasing options would cost. Then, you have to crunch some numbers of your own: purchase price (say 12 000 GBP), minus the price you can sell it for in two years (??? - look at local classifieds for 2-year old Mac Pros to get some idea of depreciation; Apple's own residual value from the leasing program should give you a ballpark, too).

If the leasing option costs less than the buying-and-selling option, you have your answer.

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Also consider the price you are paying for Apple's upgrades vs. 3rd party. I'm guessing £12,000 includes Apple RAM and storage.

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Exactly -- hard to say without knowing the lease cost.

My personal guess is that the total monthly cost of a 2-year lease is going to be only slightly less than the purchase price new. In that case clearly it's not worth it.

10. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Lol, great response. :rolleyes: