Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Least busy iPhone launch ever?

• Yes

Votes: 37 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 119 76.3%

• Total voters

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
In the United States it seems like a very busy launch.

I probably tried maybe 20 times over the last 2 hours.

AT&T and Apple.com both were flakey and took 2-3 minutes before giving errors and try again later pages. They both had messages saying they are experiencing very heavy volumes right now, and to be patient.

Apple stopped answering their sales number, and recommended that you call tomorrow.

It may be that the infrastructure and carrier relationships in other countries are better than in the US, and that orders there are going through more smoothly.

So I think it really depends on what country you're in.

I believe from what I've seen on the first 2 hours, that the iPhone 4S will sell very well.

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Canadian store was fine at 4am. Then ours are unlocked so we don't have all that messy carrier stuff which seems to gum up the works.

Wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the biggest launch as it's being launched worldwide on the same day not staggered like many of the previous launches, plus it's the first official iPhone launch on a Chinese carrier, there's a billion of them.

iadnanura

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011
Quiet in Germany

In Germany vodafone.de and the Apple Store weren't bogged down. I ordered my iPhone via vodafone and was even able to preorder one via Apple.
I came in expecting the worst and was absolutely surprised by being done within 10-15 minutes.

Now I'm just hoping that they ship as early as possible, but I was told that my iPhone would be sent on the 14. October.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Apple store crippled, carrier stores crippled, 20 minute wait on the phone to speak about IPhone 4s, cannot log into Vodafone account etc.

Not sure if serious!

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Canada Store is 1-2 weeks too, glad the pups had to go to the bathroom at 4am or I would have waited and missed out on the 14th delivery. The pups get an extra treat today, maybe an apple.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
All went well just after 5am today for me and AT&T has two 4S units on the way for the 14th

This was WAY more easy than the past!

Tells me that not everyone is buying

Last edited:

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
How can anybody remotely know even a few hours after the window opened? *shakes head*

Everybody, news flash, it's just a phone. No need to freak out and converse about how dead or alive the perceived launch is.

My prediction? Hot area at around 4 am for the enthusiasts. Moreso on the west coast as it's earlier and more people are awake.

If you got the phone before 9 am (preordered I mean), then you should be good. Try getting it when the mainstream finds out it's out today and you're toast.

I was planning on riding my bike to the nearest ATT store at 8am today to get in there and do it, but I just did it online at 730 this morning, so it's all good.

Deamos

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2009
Considering the Apple Store website is still kinda Derp City, I would assume your theory that this launch is not busy, is in fact...FALSE.

c5ride

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
I used the Apple Store app on my phone when I woke up at 6:30EST for work. Expected it to be sluggish, but it worked like a charm, took 2 minutes and was done.

You are kidding yourself though if you don't think this will be a huge launch. It always is.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
This was WAY more easy than the past!
Tells me that no everyone is buying

Just to play Devil's Advocate, how can you tell the difference this morning between:
  1. fewer people buying
  2. Apple/ATT/et al making sufficient server capacity available / more accurately predicting demand than previously

Again, I'm not refuting anything; I just don't know how anyone can know which of the above is really true at this point? As to posts here, I'm not sure that's an accurate gauge either as far more people who have issues ordering will post vs. those who have a smooth experience and get on with their normal Friday morning.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
No doubt it was better.

I remember how bad it was when the iPhone 4 was introduced. Took me over 24 hours to get my order in, took only minutes to get two 4S units first try!

----------

Just to play Devil's Advocate, how can you tell the difference this morning between (a) fewer people buying and (b) Apple/ATT/et al having sufficient server capacity to meet anticipated ordering demand?

Play what you want. I see too many people here who had no problems ordeing their new phone.

Sorry if you do not agree:p

wishman35

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
Face it - not nearly as many people are buying this version of the iPhone. Right now - every website is running perfectly fine.

With the iPhone 4 you couldn't access the site pretty much the entire day...and the ship date continued to fall back.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Maybe they have just put that datacentre to good use propping up the online store? :p I ordered mine from Vodafone easily enough but their website is struggling at the moment.

markel253

macrumors regular
May 17, 2008
I tried to order from the Apple Store website from 3:40 AM ET to almost 5 AM with no luck.

I decided to try the AT&T site and it was fine ... moved normally and in minutes I had my phone, confirmation email followed by an email that said the order was processed (I checked - my checking account showed the transaction) and that the order was being sent to their warehouse for delivery on 10/14/2011.

I wasted a lot of time with the Apple site when I should have tried AT&T earlier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.