Least expensive new-in-box Apple laptop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Unspeaked, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Ok, here's the deal: someone has asked me for help finding a laptop to give their brother as a gift. The only requirement is that it's a Mac and it's new and in the box (I'm assuming an Apple refurb would meet this requirement).

As of right now, the best deal I can find is the $949 refurbished 2.1GHz MacBooks on Apple's site.

Does anyone know of any better deals? It can be an iBook, even - so long as it's sealed.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

I've seen refurbished MacBooks for $899. The stock changes often, so check daily.

3. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

MacMall will have closeout deals too. These are previous model Macbooks discounted.

The only thing about a refurb, is that the box might not look very present-like. They often come in plain boxes, which might not count to your friend as "new in box"................

I, by no means, would hesitate to by a refurb for myself.

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

For what I've heard refurbs don't come in the spiffy apple-designed boxes, if that's what you are looking for. Here's a vid of a refurb Macbook Pro unboxing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi-EO0nYseI

If you want a deal for new-in-box, you may want to check 3rd party resellers (like smalldog.com) for previous models that are new

5. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Ive seen early model macbooks for even as low as 799 on the refurb store. Incredible deal

6. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I've noticed that the cheapest refurbished models are posted up on the Apple Store at about eight o'clock (eastern time)... The best price I've seen is $849.

7. steeler macrumors regular

You'll get a heck of a deal at the Apple refurb store. It's just like buying new, except that the machine has been tested, examined and fixed as necessary. I'm not much for refurbs usually, but I did and would again buy an Apple refurb (from store.apple.com).