Least hassle hdd upgrade iMac G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nottorp, May 12, 2014.

1. nottorp macrumors member

I just got an iMac G5 (17", ALS). Probably need to clean dust/replace thermal paste/get new fans, but that's well documented.

What would be the least hassle new hard drive upgrade though? I'm going to run both Leopard and Tiger+Classic.
    From the forums I see I should get a max 2 Tb hard drive, but which? Leopard should be just peachy with 2Tb, will Tiger give me any problems?
    Also, will there be any trouble with 4k sector hard drives?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

So long as it has a jumper to roll it back to SATA II or SATA I you will be fine. I am not aware of any issues.

I think I have a Western Digital Caviar Green in my PowerMac G5. While not regarded well as a good daily driver hard disk, it gets the job done, is speedy, and is very quiet. I personally recommend any Western Digital parts.

3. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Personally, I would try to find one of the "hybrid" drives with SSD caching built in, or even go with an SSD from the get-go.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

So long as it is SATA I or II, or has the jumper pins to roll it back!

5. nottorp thread starter macrumors member

Oh. You're saying a SATA II drive would work even if it doesn't have a "fall back to SATA I" jumper?

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It should. If it is a SATA III drive it should have a couple of pins that you can use a jumper on. Most drives have a fall back setting. I have a Western Digital Caviar Green hard drive and I had to use the jumper to scale it back to SATA II to work in my G5.