Leather Band already cracking/peeling/fading... after 3 days.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by duelingdragons, Apr 27, 2015.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

So I got the 38MM SS w/ Classic Black Buckle, and the leather right around where the buckle holes are is starting to crack. I'm sorry but for this much money I would expect higher quality. I have tried cleaning it, etc but whatever it is, its here to stay.

Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]

2. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

since its on the inside of the band... sure its not your own dried sweat on there? have to tried to wash it off?

I find it very hard to believe its actually cracking and showing signs of wear after 3 days.

3. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

So much for 'high quality' leather. Hopefully the third party bands will be better.

4. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I've tried cleaning it off multiple times. That's what my assumption was at first too, but it won't go away. Unless my sweat is acidic or something, lol.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

I've not noticed this at all, and I have the exact same band. They are mass-produced by ECCO. Like any $150 leather watch strap, I expect to get about 1.5-2 years out of it before it needs to be replaced, probably closer to the latter since it is a bit thicker than most leather bands I've used.

6. jwball macrumors regular

It's natural leather cold forged from the hide of unicorns, from a tannery owned by Jesus Christ himself.

Either that or it's cheap leather sourced from China.

(I think I know which it probably is)

7. KPOM macrumors G5

It's sourced from the Netherlands, actually. But it is using a mass-produced process from a company known for selling moderately priced shoes. The quality is fine. I paid $155 for a "genuine" Movado leather band one time that lasted me all of 18 months.

8. jwball macrumors regular

I was joking, I know it comes from the ECCO tannery.

9. Glideslope, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

It's glue coming thru the material. Becoming an issue in other posts. Going to be a problem. Looks like a bunch were shipped without fully curing. :apple:

10. KPOM macrumors G5

This is a logical explanation, and I do recall seeing another thread on this. My advice is to call up Apple and have them send you a replacement band that's fully cured. My guess is that they got the factory cranking on short notice and the bands went out before they could cure. This shouldn't happen, and Apple should take care of it, as it qualifies as a manufacturing defect.

11. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Ugh, great.

12. Paul830 macrumors newbie

Love my 38mm SS Classic Black buckle Apple watch...but after 4 days the leather around the hole where the buckle pin goes through the band is starting to crack. Not a lot but it's only 4 days and if it keeps cracking they band will not look or function so well...Called Apple and they told me to take it to my local Apple store. After they examined the band they told me that the bands are not covered under warranty... that it's just normal wear and tear... However they did make several calls to Apple Inc. and they agreed to order a replacement band at no charge. However going forward I sure the bands will not be covered under apple care plus or warranty. Have a Milanese loop and Sport band on order too.

Attached Files:

13. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Could you walk into an Apple Store and exchange this for an equal or greater priced band? Not that I want you to do that, but I have the Black Classic Leather Band watch coming this week and ordered an extra link and Blue Leather Loop. Maybe I will exchange for a black leather loop or another option.

14. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

The straps/bands are not covered under the standard 1 year warranty and care+ ?

15. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

This is actually normal. Happens to every leather band I've ever worn.

16. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Has nobody here worn a watch before?!?

Leather doesn't look brand new for long. It never has, and never will.

Leather changes and ages over the life of a product, and you'll find that it will settle into a state it is happy with soon.

17. BigHonkingDeal, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015

BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Well, after owning several Apple iPhone & iPad leather cases I have no problem believing it. I concluded a long time ago that I will never buy an overpriced Apple leather anything.

It's like they expect you to get a case for their case :D

18. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

every leather band start crackling within 3 days?

Never happened to any I've ever owned.

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No, the notch where you wear it stretching and widening, and the leather at the buckle starting to crease. For soft leather, this is totally expected.

20. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Hey you can always do this and put any band you want on the watch:

21. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

The white stuff could actually be saddle soap. Wet, then wring out a sponge so it's barely moist and try a couple of wipes. Don't let it soak the leather.

22. Paul830 macrumors newbie

As a vintage watch collector with over 200 watches... I've never had a leather band begin to crack in 4 days... just saying...

----------

From what Apple told me today...the bands are not covered under warranty or Apple Care Plus... As for the wear... I am a watch collector with many leather bands and I have never had one begin to crack after four days of wear...6 months yes.

23. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I have the same watch for the same amount of time and none of these issues are present on mine. Your sweat could be more acidic and the other guy could be wearing it too tight.