Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamiLynee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
The PNW
All,

I'm curious to see the patina on those Apple Leather cases. This one is my Pink Fuchsia - 3 weeks of use. Let's see yours!

Attachments

• IMG_9691.JPG
    IMG_9691.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 39,661

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Sorry OP, I'm not digging the wear on your case. It's funny though because mine has a similar wear pattern in that top corner. I guess for me, when putting into my pocket, that corner gets the most wear against the jeans pocket.

I've had a few different colors but always fall back to the Saddle. I guess it's because the assumption that leather that color is supposed to turn a nice patina. Other cases esp the red/pink/taupe just end up looking dirty.

My old and new are pretty similar to yanki01 shown above after 4 weeks of usage.

I really like how it looks now, wish it would stay that way instead of turning totally coffee colored. I might try some leather cleaner periodically to see if I can maintain that color.

Reactions: caligurl

JamiLynee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
The PNW
Sorry OP, I'm not digging the wear on your case. It's funny though because mine has a similar wear pattern in that top corner. I guess for me, when putting into my pocket, that corner gets the most wear against the jeans pocket.

I've had a few different colors but always fall back to the Saddle. I guess it's because the assumption that leather that color is supposed to turn a nice patina. Other cases esp the red/pink/taupe just end up looking dirty.

My old and new are pretty similar to yanki01 shown above after 4 weeks of usage.

I really like how it looks now, wish it would stay that way instead of turning totally coffee colored. I might try some leather cleaner periodically to see if I can maintain that color.
It's not like I planned it. Patina just sorta happens. It is what it is. I don't like the unevenness of it. I'm blaming it on little hands, big phone.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I think I have had every color Apple leather case over the last few years (including yellow). I seem to gravitate towards the Saddle Brown. It wears in nicely and looks, well, like a saddle over time. I have either returned all the others within the 30 day return period or gave them away. Anything light looks dirty after only a few weeks. I tried the OP's color, but I felt it was a color for a female. Blue? boring and hard to tell it's leather. Yellow, dirty quickly. Red, like this a lot, very bright, Black, also boring. Gray, liked this one.

I ordered blue and saddle brown with my X pre-order. Returned them both. Maybe I got a bad batch, but they looked too perfect and fake. I got a silicone instead and liked it, but as with all my new phones during the honeymoon period, I want a slim low profile case to show it off. I have 5 third party cases on hand or on the way from Amazon, Caudabe, Kaaum, Bright and Sparkly (Facebook poor impulse buy), and Spiegen. Still searching.

Reactions: Margit72

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I think I have had every color Apple leather case over the last few years (including yellow). I seem to gravitate towards the Saddle Brown. It wears in nicely and looks, well, like a saddle over time. I have either returned all the others within the 30 day return period or gave them away. Anything light looks dirty after only a few weeks. I tried the OP's color, but I felt it was a color for a female. Blue? boring and hard to tell it's leather. Yellow, dirty quickly. Red, like this a lot, very bright, Black, also boring. Gray, liked this one.

I ordered blue and saddle brown with my X pre-order. Returned them both. Maybe I got a bad batch, but they looked too perfect and fake. I got a silicone instead and liked it, but as with all my new phones during the honeymoon period, I want a slim low profile case to show it off. I have 5 third party cases on hand or on the way from Amazon, Caudabe, Kaaum, Bright and Sparkly (Facebook poor impulse buy), and Spiegen. Still searching.

I also had the yellow one, it was nice for the first 2 weeks, but oh boy it looked dirty after a few months.

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
+1 on coconut oil and an occasional Coach leather moisturiser. Will darken the leather without blotches.

JokerABC

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
So it seems like black and midnight blue are too boring. Every other color just looks dirty after several months. Saddle brown seems to be the best all around

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
So it seems like black and midnight blue are too boring. Every other color just looks dirty after several months. Saddle brown seems to be the best all around

Black stays the same color, for those who don’t like patina.

Midnight blue and gray over time becomes black.

Saddle brown ages naturally and nicely.

Anything lighter will look dirty or nasty.

Reactions: Tagbert and bigjnyc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.