Leather cleaning advice for Grove Made Leather Back

icupcake

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ive had one of these in tan for a few months now and at first it was gorgeous. Now the parts where my fingers grip the phone are dark and discolored (I never touch my phone unless my hands are super clean) and I have no idea how to clean it. I tried wiping it lightly with a Magic Eraser and that seemed to ruin a bit of the engraving and it made it a bit worse. It's a tan color and that seemed to rub off a bit as well. Am I just out of luck? Just as a side note Grove n longer sells these, guess that's probably why.

Any leather experts out there with suggestions? Thanks!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Seems like this should be obvious: leather cleaner. The Magic Eraser also seems like it should obviously be a bad idea. It's an abrasive.

Comment

icupcake

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Seems like this should be obvious: leather cleaner. The Magic Eraser also seems like it should obviously be a bad idea. It's an abrasive.
Actually it isn't at all. I googled it for an hour and many people use magic eraser on leather (especially high end cars). There are many other options besides leather cleaner as well. Just wondering why you bother answering if you know your answer is of no help at all and rude as well?

I was hoping someone might have a trick for *etched* leather. If not, please keep your snark to yourself.

Comment

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
I think you're SOL. I have a tan leather back as well (from Slick Wraps) and have been unsuccessful cleaning it even with actual leather cleaner. Everything just took color off it.

Like yours, mine has become dark around the edges. At first I hated it, but I kind of like it now. It's become sort of worn and "distressed" looking. It looks kind of cool these days, actually.

Comment