Leather flip-case for 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by abishagenaden, Oct 13, 2011.

1. abishagenaden macrumors member

So I've read through several threads on here that talk about the various cases people are eyeing, but for the most part, these cases seem to either be full-body capsules (which seem too bulky or end up having screen glare), or only sides(bumpers)+back(plate) coverage.

I've been using leather flip-cases for my Blackberries for the past 5 years, which has worked out very well for the way I handled my phones on a daily basis, whether in my jeans/pants/cargo pockets, in my tennis bag, in the cupholder in my car, etc.

This being my first iphone ever I'm trying to find the right case for me, which will offer the right level of protection whilst at the same time matching the level of practicality that I like.

I'm pretty adamant on screen protection, and not just a shield or skin, just based on how I use the phone everyday, which is why I am looking for a flip-case. My usual brand (Noreve) doesn't have any iphone 4 cases which strike my fancy, and the other brand I'm interested in (Vaja) is a tad pricey.

Any suggestions for leather flip-cases?

Just so you know the style I'm going for, these are a couple of the ones that piqued my interest, but I'm wondering if there are more.

The Bookbook -- http://www.twelvesouth.com/products/bookbook_iphone/ (currently sold out though)
    and Vaja's standard black (a little pricey though)
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. abishagenaden thread starter macrumors member

Thanks crogers, hadn't seen that before! While I like wood/bamboo finishing, the ones that I have seen and liked so far typically have it as the back plate. But I'm wary of those because of scratches they might incur.

3. hamsup1o macrumors member

SGP makes a few flip leather cases that are cheaper than vaja. It also protects the camera corner which vaja doesn't.

4. abishagenaden thread starter macrumors member

5. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

6. abishagenaden thread starter macrumors member

Well...if they weren't currently sold out, it might be an option.

7. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

Might be able to snag one at the Apple store, they stock them.

8. abishagenaden thread starter macrumors member

I'm an extremely lazy shopper so I like to do most of my shopping online, but if I happen to be near an Apple store, I might just drop by to check. Thanks!

9. abishagenaden thread starter macrumors member

10. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I too am looking for a flip case. Doesn't necessarily need to be leather. I'm not a flip case fan, myself, but the wife likes to put her iPhone in her purse, where it's banging around against keys and stuff.

Criteria #1: Must have a cutout for the rear-facing camera. Too many of the flip cases don't have this. I cringe every time she plucks the phone out of her current case to take a pic.

Criteria #2: Hopefully something that doesn't completely disable the proximity sensor, like so many of them do.

I'd also like people's thoughts on the best positioning of the flip: Book-style, flip up or flip down? They all seem inconvenient to me, but what do you like best? I'm guessing flip down is the least intrusive when taking photos, and flip up is the least intrusive while talking on the phone. No idea what's better here. Thoughts?

11. abishagenaden thread starter macrumors member

Both of my last 2 cases (spanning over the past 4.5 years) have been flip-up cases, for the Blackberry Pearl and then the Blackberry Curve 8900, so I might be a little biased. In each case (pun intended), and this might be case-dependent, the case was designed in such a way that when you flip the lid over the top and to the back, the 'joint' is lower down on the back so that the camera is not obstructed. As long as you make sure you get a flip-up case that is designed in such a way (and most should be by now), taking pictures shouldn't be a problem.

12. Busymom23 macrumors member

I got the BookBook case today and it is beautiful! Got it at the Apple Store in Short Pump. (Which was a madhouse today, btw)

13. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Just checked it out. Looks way cool, but doesn't look like it has a cutout for the camera. Or does it?

14. Busymom23 macrumors member

No, it doesn't. But it it slips out just fine. And if I am going on a photo walk/shoot, I would use the case with my photojojo lens ring, anyhow.