Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CharlieCat666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
My next band purchase will definitely be a black one.
I just can't decide which of these two I like better.
Thoughts?
If you've got one of these bands, could you tell me if you like it/dislike it?

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Thoughts?

Classic buckle is much nicer, the leather is soft and classy. The leather loop doesn't feel like typical leather, and I hate the clicking sounds.

conshok26

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Thoughts?

I'm thinking about the same 2 as well. Went to the store and tried them both on, unfortunately they were not in stock. The leather loop really didn't feel like leather but didn't feel bad either. I like that you can get a custom fit with the loop.

I think the classic buckle looks classy and felt nice as well. I really like both and hope to get one tomorrow when I'm in NYC. The deciding factor will be which they have in stock. If they have both I'll be going with the buckle.

pilot3033

macrumors member
May 19, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Try both on and see. I have the SS with a black leather loop and absolutely love it. It's a modern band that dresses both down and up, working as a sporty accessory but working just as perfectly as a more formal band. I wore it with a Tux yesterday as the best man in a wedding, and got several compliments from people who didn't even recognize it as an apple watch, just a nice watch.

The leather is not soft, but I really like how simple and ingenious the loop is, and the fit is perfect all day. When I tried the classic buckle in store I felt like the clasp was just too thin, and I likewise felt that it was a sort of boring band in general.

I was trepidatious at first, but the leather loop grew on me almost instantly after wearing it as *my* band.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Thoughts?

It's really a difference in styling more than anything. Modern vs classy. They're both terrific imo. I personally have the Leather Loop since I've been using buckled straps for the longest time and wanted to try something innovative with a smartwatch.

joshneedham

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
Chicago, IL
I have the classic buckle and I love it, the classic lugs that connect the strap to the watch are what does it for me. Makes the watch much classier and the black leather with stainless steel is a timeless look that is equally appropriate with shorts and a polo or a suit and tie. It's comfortable as well, and if you somehow end up wearing it out or ruining it, you can use the connectors to put another leather strap on your watch (if you pick up a pentalobe screwdriver of course)

conshok26

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
I'm thinking about the same 2 as well. Went to the store and tried them both on, unfortunately they were not in stock. The leather loop really didn't feel like leather but didn't feel bad either. I like that you can get a custom fit with the loop.

I think the classic buckle looks classy and felt nice as well. I really like both and hope to get one tomorrow when I'm in NYC. The deciding factor will be which they have in stock. If they have both I'll be going with the buckle.

Picked up the black leather loop at the 5th ave store today. So far so good.

Mike Delta

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
My leather loop does not click at all but it is a bit more casual if you want something a little more dressy I would go with the classic buckle.

Reactions: webworks415

kingc0bra

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
I have the classic buckle but will def check out the leather loop as well.

I say just buy one and try it on, if you don't like it, return it and get the other :D

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have the classic buckle and like it a lot. Very comfortable and great look. I have to try on the leather loop but haven't had the chance.

KOTULCN

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
My classic leather buckle band just came in and it doesn't feel like leather at all to me. I'm hoping that changes once it's broken in.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
I thought the same thing when I first put mine on. Eventually it softens and breaks in and feels great.

Of course, I never had a "real" leather watch band before, so maybe they all feel like that? My good watches have all had steel bands.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
My classic leather buckle band just came in and it doesn't feel like leather at all to me. I'm hoping that changes once it's broken in.

I agree, it feels more like paper or cardboard. Looks great though. I expect it will change as it gets worn.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Just wanna bump this thread and see what others have chosen. I currently switch between the classic buckle for work and a WSB for the gym. I've had the classic buckle for a week but still curious about the leather loop. Like someone mentioned, the plus to having the classic buckle is the official apple lugs. Makes switching bands a breeze.

Your thoughts after using either or for a little bit?

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I'm currently testing out the Classic Buckle and I made my decision after trying one on at the Apple store but after getting it on Monday. It was actually quite underwhelming. This wouldn't be a problem have I not spent $150 USD. on the it. The only plus side is that I can switch out the band for any another one and I'm using Apple's Latch system vs A third-party one which is a bit more clunky.

The leather feels quite tough but that's expected. Even more noticeable was how "Styrofoam" it felt. I showed the leather to a couple of people and especially on person who has enough leather to last a lifetime. She would think the band at most would of cost $85 bucks but not $150.

If i can get the third-party system working correctly with other bands. Then I can return this and try possibly something more unique that would be a better use of my money. Possibly the Milanese loop or leather loop

One thing positive, after irritation at first, the band is comfortable (Classic Buckle).

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have the classic buckle and tried on the leather loop today. For me the leather loop jus doesn't feel right, not sure why but it just won't work for me. I like my classic buckle and it is my go to band for work. Very clean and comfortable. It doesn't scream pay attention to me which I like.

easheer

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
I have both and they are both underwhelming relative to the price. It's not that I dislike them, I just wouldn't pay $150 for them.

Having collected and worn high-end mechanical watches for many years, I can't help but think this is just another overpriced Apple accessory.

If you're willing to spend $150 for a strap, go out and buy yourself a nice third party strap. I made some recommendations about where to obtain such straps in the the stickied 3rd party strap thread.

If you must get one of these two, if you have larger wrists, I'd go with the classic buckle. I like the feel of the leather better than the loop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.