Leather or silicone case ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by anonymous4a, Sep 27, 2014.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

Hi, trying to decide between the two for iphone 6, which offers more protection or are they about the same ? Is the bottom exposed ?

2. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Got leather but didn't think about protection ... just the feel of it ...

3. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

Silicone

4. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

I love Apple's leather case for the 6. Feels wonderful, doesn't catch on the inner lining of your pocket when you go to take the phone out, and still has plenty of grip. Plus, it's very minimal in size.

5. blaugrana69 macrumors regular

The leather one looks that little bit "slimmer" ? (on the phone)

6. TheJuice macrumors newbie

Having looked at both in the Apple store (Out of their boxes, in my hands) honestly the silicone one feels stronger and more durable. The leather one is very thin and flexes a lot if you test it. For this reason alone i went with the silicone (And it's slightly cheaper). Still looks great and i feel it provides more protection than the leather one (If dropped for example). Also i feel the silicone will provide more grip in your hands if you struggle with the size and reachability etc.

Hope this helps :apple:

7. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I agree. It looks awesome and has a great grip feel with a small footprint. I really like it.

I do think that the silicone case is more protective (drop tests have shown this), but I like how the leather one looks with the Plus more, makes it look classier than the silicone.

8. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I bought the blue silicone case for my iphone 6 white.
    Leather is more expensive and I din't like the way it felt on my hand.

9. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

If I was upgrading, I'd choose the case based on colour. If the colour you like isn't available in both finishes, then that's decision made.

That said I probably wouldn't get the Apple case due to the exposed bottom.

10. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Silicone adds more grip and more protection. Both have same amount of width as I tried both.

11. deviant macrumors 65816

I understand leather problems but at least it's leather. Saying silicone is cheaper is funny cause you end up paying 40 bucks for a piece of plastic. As you could guess, I'm still undecided ;)

12. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

The leather collects dust/fluff around the edges, otherwise it's a nice case but I'm returning mine for that reason.

13. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

Do any of these cases scratch the edges of the phone over time from the build up of dust etc? I remember this happening to a "friend's" iPhone 4 with a silicone case.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If I had to choose between the two, I would pick the leather.

Silicone can attract grit and debris and if it works it's way between the case and the phone, it will actually mar the finish. The silicone does offer more protection so if you are a phone dropper, it might be your best bet. Just remove it and clean it often.

I prefer the Sedio Surface which adds almost no bulk but lots of grip.

15. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Just got the Seidio Surface and holster combo and I concur. As an added bonus the holster for the surface fits my 6+ with the Apple leather case on as well!

16. TSKY74 macrumors regular

TSKY74

I went leather. Like the feel of it. It did seem a little more slippery than the silicone, but now after using the leather for a few days, the grip is fine. I did like the fact that there were more color choices in silicone (easier to inject brighter colors into the silicone). The leather case did feel flimsy, but once it's in the phone, it fits firm and feels great.

17. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Started with leather and switched to silicone.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sedio has been my favorite for years now. Glad to see others know about them.

19. bizzwriter macrumors member

bizzwriter

Bumper

I prefer the bumpers -- I've dropped previous iPhones numerous times, and they always survive just fine. Picked up a Poetic bumper for my iPhone 6 on Amazon -- it was $7 or so.

20. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I too like simple bumpers. But I've opted for a Spigen Neo Hybrid case for slightly more protection. The one I'm using on my 5s looks like a bumper but has a thin rubberized back as well. I've used Apple's leather cases and liked them but one good drop and the leather is permenantly marred. Until that happens, however, those Apple cases are luxe.

21. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

This exactly.

22. RafixPhoenix macrumors regular

Get leather if you don't mind the wear. That's why I would get the black leather case since it shows the least amount of wear. If you want a color case I'd opt for the silicone.

23. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I bought Apple's black leather case, even after reading about swelling/blistering due to water. It was fine until this morning. I washed my hands, and must have had a couple of drops of water left. BLISTERS! Arghhhh..... They haven't gone away, and it does look nasty. I guess there's a place in the world for genuine imitation leather.

24. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Silicone attracts too much dust and lint. The leather case has really good feel and seems like it will protect the phone from minor bumps and drops.

25. Jman13 macrumors 68000

A lot of the comments on the Silicone tell me they're from people who have never handled the Apple silicone case. These are not stretchy rubbery sticky cases like the average silicone case. Those can stretch and get dirt between and then flex and rub and such.

The Apple silicone cases are semi-rigid cases (of the same or greater structural integrity of the leather cases) with a soft-touch silicone on the outside (the same material as the iPad smart covers), and a microfiber lined inside. There is no flex or pull or gaps in the case that would allow debris between the case and the phone unless it was there when you put the phone on. It's an extremely well-fitting case that does not flex when it's on (though it's still relatively easy to remove due to the open bottom).

Does it collect a bit of lint? Yeah, a bit, though it's easily wiped off with a finger (unlike the rubbery silicone cases where they just stick to it no matter what unless its wet).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]