Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaun319

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
New York City
I'm not sure about the latest research however in medical school (I graduated in 2007) I was taught that aniline dyes had previously been associated with bladder cancers. I initially bought the black leather smart case for iPad 2 but returned it when I read on the box that Apple made the cause my using aniline to dye italian leather. I bought the leather case because of the color but I returned I could not get it off my mind. Does anyone else on the boards know anything about aniline dyes? I am sure Apple has done its research but I just could not keep the case knowing what I knew.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wikipedia is your friend.

Toxicology

Aniline is toxic by inhalation of the vapour.[8] The IARC lists it in Group 3 (not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity to humans) due to the limited and contradictory data available. The early manufacture of aniline resulted in increased incidents of bladder cancer, but these effects are now attributed to naphthylamines, not anilines.[1]

dseig001

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
I'm not sure about the latest research however in medical school (I graduated in 2007) I was taught that aniline dyes had previously been associated with bladder cancers. I initially bought the black leather smart case for iPad 2 but returned it when I read on the box that Apple made the cause my using aniline to dye italian leather. I bought the leather case because of the color but I returned I could not get it off my mind. Does anyone else on the boards know anything about aniline dyes? I am sure Apple has done its research but I just could not keep the case knowing what I knew.

Intern checking in....

Are you serious??? Any self-respecting doctor would take the time to look up some actual research on pub med before asking such an asinine question on an Apple message board.

I'm not even going to get started on the difference between basic science research and actual clinical correlations.

Pick up a journal, go to some CME classes, for the love of god, educate yourself. I hope you're not spouting off data to your patients with such little research.

shaun319

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
New York City
This was taught to me by multiple professors of medicine during my training. Did you check pub med to confirm everything you were taught in medical school? I'm sure not. By the way, a quick search brings up evidence for and against this. It seems as though the basic scientist are still not sure.

dseig001

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
This was taught to me by multiple professors of medicine during my training. Did you check pub med to confirm everything you were taught in medical school? I'm sure not. By the way, a quick search brings up evidence for and against this. It seems as though the basic scientist are still not sure.

Hearing a physician reacting with such a knee jerk reaction to dated information that is controversial to begin with is horrifying.

Did you throw out all your plastic bottles in fear of BPA too?

Edit: if you were to really read some of the articles, they are referring to levels of aniline dyes experienced by a textile worker, not those related to touching an already cured piece of leather. Like I said earlier, the fact that a physician didn't actually do a real literature search on a medical topic before going to a public forum for lay-people is scary.

Last edited:

shaun319

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
New York City
Wow. You are ridiculous. You are an intern. What makes you the authority. This is discussion board. I am sorry ou received an subpar medical education but many of my colleagues were taught the same thing. I will leave it at this. I would love to hear others' thoughts on the aniline dye used in these cases.

shaun319

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
New York City
Btw, I avoid plastic water bottles with bpa. That's just my choice. I'm not asking you too. You need to chill out dude.

dseig001

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
Wow. You are ridiculous. You are an intern. What makes you the authority. This is discussion board. I am sorry ou received an subpar medical education but many of my colleagues were taught the same thing. I will leave it at this. I would love to hear others' thoughts on the aniline dye used in these cases.

I can keep going, but it's not worth it.

bluebermuda

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Btw, I avoid plastic water bottles with bpa. That's just my choice. I'm not asking you too. You need to chill out dude.

Don't you wish you were an attending physician at the hospital where he is serving his internship? You could make his life miserable. :D

He sounds just like a 25 year old law school graduate that has a lot to learn.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
He's a physician like Dr. Dre

:D Laughed out loud.

Threads like this remind me of the newspaper headlines in the grocery store check out line. Sadly, many people believe this kind of thing. A little knowledge is dangerous.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
As a physician, I concur that the OP probably heard this. However, as a physician I abhor that the OP 1) fails to realize the body of medical knowledge evolves with time, and many "facts" presented in medical school do not hold up with further study, 2) he failed to find out facts before posting sensationalism, and 3) he used the word "dude".

Workers in the analine dye industry were reported to gave anincrease in bladder cancer by Rehn in 1895. End products dyed by this process never have been shown to cause cancer. In addition "analine" has stuck as a name for the process of dyeing that no longer incorporates the cancer-causing agents.

Enjoy your case. I apologize for my profession. Most of us are more thoughtful.

And why worry about your iPad causing bladder cancer when your iPhone will give you a brain tumor? :rolleyes:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Guy, if you are an M.D. why are you coming to a geek site full of tweens, teens, and collegers to have an intellectual discussion about a controversial chemical? What possible experience could they have other than to point you to Wikipedia as if that is a legit and academically accepted source of knowledge?

Seriously, if you have a theory, why not chat it up on AMA or scientific research boards? Maybe submit an article to a journal. I'm sure some class action attorney would love to read all about your conclusions.

A bit of advice though if you are going to be serious on a non-serious board like this: don't criticize other's education levels if you are not going to bother to put together proper english yourself. You wrote "I am sorry ou received an subpar medical education." I'll forget about the typo "ou," but it's "a subpar medical education," not "an subpar education."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.