Leather Smart Covers Bleed Color - UPDATED

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dadoftwogirls, Mar 19, 2011.

1. dadoftwogirls, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

Many probably already know this. However, the leather smart covers bleed their colors. I decided to clean mine due to use and finger prints, smudges from the first week. Plus I figured it wouldn't hurt to put a little top quality leather cleaner / protectant on it. So I did using a soft dry clean cloth and you can see the results. I was not wiping hard at all. The pressure I was using was minimal at best.

I point this out for obvious reasons but also for those using screen covers like the Zagg shield. On my iPad 1, I had their clear cover on the front and back. When it was in the Apple folio case, the black/blue of the case would actually be absorbed into the cover and stain it in certain spots. It didn't affect the front that I could tell as typically the folio lid wasn't actually touching the screen due to how the iPad sat inside. Those who had it, know what I mean. However, with the the new Smart covers, the inside lid actually touches the screen. The inside covers are also dyed to match like the red and black. Over time, this dye may bleed or be absorbed by your shield.

UPDATE: I added a second picture. That is my original iPad. It has the Zagg shield on it. However, you can clearly see the blue rectangle in the middle. You can also see the blue along the edges. That is after I spent a while using electronics cleaner. There are some fainter spots that don't show in the picture. They were much darker when first pulled out of the case. Obviously the shield is protecting the iPad. However, if you want to use the iPad outside the case it looks bad. My real concern for people is that the Smart Cover will bleed into the front shield of some iPad2 users and thus degrade the screen image over time.

Attached Files:

2. ea9 macrumors regular

From the apple website
    *The leather Smart Cover is crafted from high-quality, naturally treated material that gets its color from a rich aniline dye. Some color may rub off during use.

3. gloomcookie1 macrumors regular

My co-worker has a red leather case that bled onto the back of his iPad - he returned it and got a grey polyurethane one which admittedly looks and feels better than the leather ones.

4. David R macrumors 6502

That line scared me and made me change my mind about ordering a leather case.

5. ea9 macrumors regular

You're right... Maybe I should cancel mine and stick with a Dodocase?

6. erpx macrumors newbie

Thanks for this info! I will cancel my leather case order right one and go with the other style.

7. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I do wish they did the black and browns in polyurethane.

8. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Did the cover fade once cleaned? I'm ok with the bleed but don't want my red to fade into orange if I attempt to clean it

9. anthony691 macrumors newbie

In my experience, leather usually does this.

On a side note, I cleaned my poly smart cover for the first time yesterday and was amazed by how easy it was. I just wiped down both sides of the cover with a damp paper towel and was pleased by how effectively this cleaned the cover (especially the inside which seemed would never get clean).

10. ea9 macrumors regular

Why would they make the popular colors in the cheaper versions? It's :apple: . If you want black or navy or red.. pay up! :(

11. dadoftwogirls thread starter macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

Respectfully, I beg to disagree. High quality leather most certainly does not do this. I have many fine leather items, belts, wallets, couches, my wife has purses, they do not bleed? It is the dyeing process which has to be, at best, low quality in China. I read somewhere that the leather smart covers cost apple $10-$12 to produce. How much "quality" can you expect? However, they are charging $69. Pretty nice profit margin. Lastly, I did not post this to bash Apple. Just a heads up.

12. dadoftwogirls thread starter macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

My cover did not fade. It still looks great. However, it is black. I can't speak to what the bright red might do if cleaned.