Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Wonder if manufacturers are thinking people are going with the Air for its light weight, and there won't be that big of a market for a heavy (in comparison to other materials) leather cover?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Wonder if manufacturers are thinking people are going with the Air for its light weight, and there won't be that big of a market for a heavy (in comparison to other materials) leather cover?

There are leather cases including the official Apple smart case so there is no reason not to have leather smart covers. I would prefer a leather one to the polyurethane ones currently available. The leather one for my iPad 3 has lasted 18 months now and is almost as good as new. I don't think the polyurethane ones would last that long.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It'll be interesting to see who jumps into this market!

I've been using the same Apple leather Smart Cover (first on my iPad 2, then on my iPad 3) for the last 2.5 years (if I did the math right). It's handled the wear very well.

I'm using an Apple poly Smart Cover for my Air, and I really like it. It's noticeably lighter than the leather Smart Cover, but I guess that's not a totally fair test since the Air cover has 9% less surface area than the iPad 3 cover I'm comparing it against.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008

Leather actually can be lighter than many man made materials that provide similar robustness. I got the leather SmartCase and it is really light, so a leather SmartCover of the same construction would be very light.

I had a leather SmartCover on the iPad 3 in conjunction with a Kensington back cover. The combination was OK. But like the new SmartCase a lot better. The fit, finish, function, minimal weight is just about perfect.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Im asking about now not back in October. Plus I did a search and nothing came up that was actionable.

What does that have to do with it. Common sense tells you that if a thread already exists on the topic you should post in there. It will get bumped up to the top as a result anyway. As for searching I guess you didn't search well enough as I was able to find it easily. I'm not having a go at you but its annoying when people start new threads when there is no need for it. It only serves to split and break up the discussion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.