Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojopixel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Somewhere in Time
Hello,

I am in the process of applying for Graphic Design jobs and have been advised to create a leave behind as it is apparently good interview etiquette. What I want to know is what do people normally create for their leave behind?

thanks for your response,

mp

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
I've seen packets, pouches, pamplets, booklets & cd's.
...or any combination of those.
Something to help summarize your portfolio...and keep you fresh on their mind.

(We went to a few design firms in Atlanta my senior year in college...and I saw a really neat portfolio with a few items packaged in a bubble wrap envelope. I always thought that was a neat texture to include in a leave behind, and haven't forgotten it since.)

Another good tip...when sending your follow-up or initial resume, I heard that wrapping your letter around a hershey bar or other candy gets your recognized too. :) (Although...if it gets in the hands of a health nut...this could be bad too.)

Good Luck in the interview process.
I'd love to see what you do come up with.

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
Your Conundrum

I remember some time ago, a person scored a job by sending their resume in as a jigsaw.
Perhaps you could make up a precis, cut into the jigsaw pieces. The recipient would remember having to make up the puzzle before they could read the thing.

KGB

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I remember some time ago, a person scored a job by sending their resume in as a jigsaw.
Perhaps you could make up a precis, cut into the jigsaw pieces. The recipient would remember having to make up the puzzle before they could read the thing.

KGB

Yeah that would sit on my shelf for a day and then go directly into the trash.

Even a CD I think is a pain. Give them something on paper, and a url to back it up.

mojopixel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Somewhere in Time
cheers

I've seen packets, pouches, pamplets, booklets & cd's.
...or any combination of those.
Something to help summarize your portfolio...and keep you fresh on their mind.

(We went to a few design firms in Atlanta my senior year in college...and I saw a really neat portfolio with a few items packaged in a bubble wrap envelope. I always thought that was a neat texture to include in a leave behind, and haven't forgotten it since.)

Another good tip...when sending your follow-up or initial resume, I heard that wrapping your letter around a hershey bar or other candy gets your recognized too. :) (Although...if it gets in the hands of a health nut...this could be bad too.)

Good Luck in the interview process.
I'd love to see what you do come up with.

thanks for the response. I shall investigate further, especially your idea of the bubble wrap. On another note, if I were to put up a website, would I put all 12 pieces of my portfolio on it or just a select number of items?:)

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Hello,

I am in the process of applying for Graphic Design jobs and have been advised to create a leave behind as it is apparently good interview etiquette. What I want to know is what do people normally create for their leave behind?

thanks for your response,

mp

Having been on the receiving end of many such items in the past (marketing teasers, Leave Behinds etc.), can I just suggest one thing if you want it to be kept rather than discarded: no matter how creative you are in terms of materials, shapes, design etc., please let the whole thing able to be filed in a standard filing system (i.e. A4 / US Letter; sorry I don't know where you are).

I've reluctantly binned very creative marketing material because it was oversized and just didn't fit in the drawer.

OK, I realise that there's an opposite argument that you might want it to be unable to be filed and therefore has to be left out on the desk....:)

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
I'd try to do something different but not something that would be too taxing on the mind, the jigsaw one would just get binned by me.

I've recently come across memolio while browsing and thought it was quite a cool little idea. I'm toying with making a couple for a carry in the pocket portfolio/brochure.
Could always do something like that with some info and pictures etc although 15 euro's might be a tad pricey if you need to do a lot of them :)

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
Never heard of a 'leave behind'.

Your portfolio and you should do the talking. Gimmicky crap left at the end will likely backfire.

macfearless

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
it's not so much a gimmick, as it has been done for years now. i could see how some might find it to be gimmicky, so I wouldn't produce anything too out there. I've seen some very creative ones before that are simple, yet effective. In my opinion it just shows a little more initiative.:)

mojopixel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Somewhere in Time
thanks

thanks for the advice. I was thinking of doing a really nice business card and handing that over at the end of the interview; is there anything wrong with that? is it too boring?

cheers,

mp

a cat *miaow*

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
I think using your time is better used making sure your interview technique is as good as it possibly can be is a much better use of your time.
They have your contact details already, it's not a business meeting it's an interview – they don't need your card.
There isn't a shortcut to making a good lasting impression...

I think they probably scored a job by maybe... say... being good at what they do?

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
I'm king of the whacky leave-behind, having been mentored by a very amazing graphic designer for so long. One of my most successful 'leave behinds' was a mini portfolio (4"X4") book dropped into a McDonalds take out bag. Inside, the client would discover a note on a napkin that I always hand wrote in preparation with a ballpoint pen.
"Please hire me so I don't have to eat at McD's anymore !"
That campaign landed me some very sweet freelance gigs and perm jobs too.
No doubt, a few of those bags ended up in the circular file, along with more obvious leave behinds.
Be creative, be daring and try to cut through the clutter of sameness to shock and awe your interviewer into calling you or better yet... grabbing your shoulder to look in your eyes and utter those magic words...
"You're hired"
It's all in the packaging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.