Leave computer in online cart and wait = Apple discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by appleguy123, Sep 5, 2010.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I saw on a website that if you go to the Apple online store and spec the computer you want and go to checkout and then do nothing else for 2 weeks, Apple will call you and offer a discount on said computer.
    I don't know if this is true, but has anyone tried it?

2. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Yes it is true, furthermore Steve Jobs will deliver it to you in Person as well and you get a free copy of Win7 with it.

...:rolleyes:

3. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Where exactly did you hear this? Can you provide a link?

I've done this multiple times over the years while spec'ing out new machines, and I've yet to receive a phone call from anyone.

I guess if you really believe this, I've got a bridge to sell you. >.<

4. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Got it from a lifehacks thread on 4chan. Picture below.

Attached Files:

5. ZazenZach macrumors member

haters gonna hate

6. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Nope! I spec'd out tons of Macs and gone to check out. Never happened to me once.

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I thinkz a real hee-ro must haz posted dat on 4chanz

[​IMG]

8. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

There is some truth to this. Four years ago, when my sister and I were buying laptops for college, we each wanted to get a MacBook Pro. Back then there were fewer models available, and the cheapest MBP was 15" @ $1,999. I went through the higher ed section of apple's site, and put in an order for two MBPs @ $1,799 each, iWork on one, iPods, and printers (both free after rebate). I believe the total in the cart was over $4,000. I had done this a week or so before my parents were planning on placing the order, just for fun.

I cancelled the order a few hours later, just because ordering was a week away, and then a couple days after that, someone from Apple called asking why I had cancelled the order. He did not offer any additional discounts on top of the education ones, but he did offer to take care of the order personally and made sure the order shipped as soon as possible. He took my order over the phone, I gave him my parents credit card information, and a few days later, a lot of boxes came from Fedex:)

I'm pretty sure this happened only because it was a large order, and Mac sales have increased a lot since mid-2006; this may not be policy anymore.

Just my .02...

9. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Yeah...this used to happen more frequently in the past. I once specced out a really expensive powerbook and had it in my shopping cart. I got that phone call asking if I was still interested in it. When saying I wasn't they started offering a discount on it. I don't remember the details, but yeah they did call. I think they realized that people knew about it and stopped after seeing an increase in saved shopping carts.