Leave In Old RAM When Adding More?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by benh911f, Jan 12, 2013.

1. benh911f macrumors 6502

I have a Mid 2010 21.5" 3.2 GhZ Core i3 with 4GB of RAM. I just purchased 2x4GB to add, and left in the old RAM when I did this. This is ok, I assume? Also, the computer does not seem to be much faster when launching apps, etc., which I assumed it would be. The Mac is correctly displaying 12 GB RAM, I reset the PRAM, NVRAM and SMC. Is there anything I seem to be missing that would not make a noticeable bump in boot time, app launch time, etc.?
    Thanks

2. 2012Tony2012 macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

I have an mid 2007 iMac and it has 1GB RAM, but I went and bought a new 1GB RAM SIM and put it in next to the old 1GB RAM and it works well :) It was very slow to launch apps etc with 1GB but now it's lightning fast with 3GB RAM, so I assume after 3 or 4GB RAM that it won't get faster for you seeing it's already fast with 3-4GB RAM?

3. simsaladimbamba

It is okay to leave the old RAM in, many do the same.

RAM does not have much to do with boot times or starting applications.
    RAM holds current and recently closed (Inactive RAM) applications and documents, thus the access to them is faster.

What is RAM? - measured again in MB and GB
    What is a Hard Disk Drive (HDD)? - measured in Bytes (B), MegaBytes (MB), GigaBytes (GB) and TeraBytes (TB)
    What Is a Solid State Drive (SSD)?
    Another article about SSD technology

What is a CPU? - measured in MegaHertz (MHz) and GigaHertz (GHz)

4. Yougotcarved macrumors regular

RAM doesn't really help with boot times/load times of apps. Adding an SSD is what would help speed those things up.