Leave MacBook Pro Turned On or Let it Sleep?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by emon878, Apr 18, 2010.

1. emon878 macrumors member

So I finally got my first mac, its a new 15" macbook pro and got it the day it came out. My question is when I am not using the computer is it okay to leave it turned on or should I let it sleep? Becuase I realized in the Energy Saver the default setting is for the mac to sleep within 10mins even when it is plugged in. I was wondering if it would be okay for me to change this to never and leave it turned on for the whole day and just let it sleep during the night?

Thanks

-Eric

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're not using it, just close the lid and let it sleep. Too simple. It won't hurt it to leave it on a whole day if you're using it, but if you're not using it, what's the point?

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

4. emon878 thread starter macrumors member

Well I was thinking because my Adium would stay online and doesn't things happen in the background like time machine? And I was just wondering if leaving it on might make it overheat.

And thanks for the incredibly quick replies.

5. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

I just close the lid and let it sleep when I'm not using mine(unless I'm downloading something). letting adium run would be dumb if your not there to get the IM's from it.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it won't overheat, but if you're not there to respond to messages, what's the problem with letting Adium go offline? Time Machine can backup even while you're working, so there's no need to leave it on, just for that.

7. emon878 thread starter macrumors member

Wow quickest replies ever thanks a lot. I guess there isn't really a very good reason, its just the way I am used to. And I was wondering if I was downloading if it would be safe to leave it turned on and from your replies I guess it is. I think I'll just leave it on if I am downloading something and just let it sleep otherwise.

Thanks for the info I was curious.

-Eric

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're downloading something, that means you're using it, even if you're not in front of the screen. In that case, you can use a screen saver or turn off the screen and leave the MBP running. You can change the sleep settings in the Energy Saver section of System Preferences. If you want to override those and force it to stay awake, Caffeine is a great app for that.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I have my computers set to never sleep, and just put them to sleep manually when I leave my desk. That way, they don't go to sleep if I'm writing notes or something, and they go to sleep immediately when I no longer need them, saving power for that 15-minute period or whatever before they'd go to sleep automatically. Just a quick tap on the power button will put the computer to sleep, assuming you haven't disabled it under  -> System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Options.

10. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Other than adding a couple bucks to your electric bill theres no reason not to leave it on all day, it wont hurt it. Be sure to let the screen go off though and also check the option to slow down the hardrive when possible below those sliders if its not already checked.

11. emon878 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that app definitely easier than changing the energy saves preferences every time I want to download. Thanks again.

There is a check box that says let hard disk sleep when possible is that what you meant?

I might just be being an idiot but I don't see an options after going to the Energy Saver.

12. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Yes let hard disk sleep thats what I meant.

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Ah, the preference pane has changed in Snow Leopard. Everything has moved to one page. The option I'm referring to is "Allow power button to put the computer to sleep".

14. emon878 thread starter macrumors member

Ya I don't think that option is available in Snow Leopard.

Also two more questions if I am copy a lot of files over to a USB will OSX automatically override the sleep till the files are done?

Also is there anything like caffeine that will allow the display to go to sleep
    but prevent the computer from actually sleeping?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, if a copy is in progress, it won't interrupt the copy to sleep.
    I use the blackened pixels screen saver, which turns the screen off. I can activate Caffeine and then the screen saver. The computer stays awake, but the screen is off.

16. emon878 thread starter macrumors member

17. Mr. Luigi, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

Mr. Luigi macrumors member

If using a Remote Desktop Client beware of shutting off Computer

I'm pretty late to this thread. But, I just wanted to mention that there are circumstances where it is advisable, or necessary, to set your Energy Saving Preferences on your Mac as follows:

Display: Set to sleep in a modest amount of time of inactivity. 15-30 minutes? Whatever works for you. No need to keep that display on if you're not using the machine.

Computer: Set to "Always on." Under normal circumstances, you probably only want to choose this setting when you've chosen the "plugged into power source option" as it does consume more energy. Why would you want to choose this setting? Because certain remote desktop clients, like the very popular iOS app Splashtop for iPhone and Splashtop HD for iPad, can only engage "remote internet access" if the computer is on. So, for example, if you are planning to take your iPad on a trip, don't want to bring your laptop, and want to access all the functionality and data on your laptop via your iPad, Splashtop HD will let you do that (audio too!). But, only if your Computer is on. If it is sleeping this remote internet access feature won't work because Splashtop can not wake your computer from sleep unless you are on your Local Network.

Hope this is of help to some of you. Mr. Luigi