leave MBP to encode over the weekend

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mulo, Aug 27, 2010.

1. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

so basically, what are you guys thoughts on leaving a 17" i7 MBP to encode videos over the weekend, while I'm gone?

right now my fans are in default mode running at 4k RPM and my CPU is hovering between 85˚ and 90˚

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

As long as the clamshell is open and the environment isn't too hot, I don't see a problem. Maybe to play it safe you might want to set up a fan to blow air across the surface. Since the casing is essentially a big heatsink, having a steady breeze constantly carrying heat away should help.

I've left my MBP to encode over the course of 24 hours set up this way, and it didn't cause any trouble.

3. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

Don't even worry about it. I have left my machine on for a month doing coding while I was a way. My mac mini doesn't have any downtime at all but it is rarely pushed to the limit. Don't even worry about temps or the machine it is built for this.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, a Mac mini yes, but I wouldn't do it on a Macbook or any notebook computer unattended.

5. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

neat trick with the fan, I might have it blow fresh air into the room though, its pretty small.

6. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

why not?

7. belvdr macrumors 603

I don't see a problem with it. People tend to baby these things like their handling C4.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Not saying anything bad WILL happen, however I have a new 15" Core i5 MBP and an i7 iMac and encoding takes a good bit of CPU power and creates a generous amount of heat. A desktop Mac generally has better ventilation to perform such tasks, especially if you're going to leave the computer unattended for an extended period of time. The only time I would do any encoding on my MBP is when the iMac is busy with other tasks and I'm just going to encode one or two movies. My main concern is overheating, shut downs and kernel panics.
    If you absolutely have to do this with your Macbook then I would recommend to leave the screen open, as closed lid operation will transfer too much heat to your screen since you're going to leave it alone for the weekend. Also you should use SMC fan control to keep it as cool as possible. Just be cautious.

9. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

10. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

well of course they do, these things are precious :D

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I don't see a problem with heat if you use a fan, i would be worried that compressor(?) might freeze thus loosing that day and you would have no way of knowing failed.

12. Demthios macrumors member

I do 3D rendering on my MBP i7 and leave it unattended over the weekend all the time. Just leave the it sitting open and walk away. Don't use any fan controller or set up a fan or anything. Always has been fine for it, temps hover in the 85-90 range.

13. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

think thats what i'm gonna do, not sure about the fan. am going to have it lifted up about 1/2" to increase airflow